• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New spear build

Dooley87

I designed a new spear this week, I wanted to combine the center weighted style with the laser cut style. I still need to powder coat the spear, coat the handle add a tine guard and rope. I rounded all the edges of the spear head so there aren't any square edges. Also the entire end of the spear threads off so if the handle ever cracks I can replace it. I am going to start selling them if anyone is interested.

D84621AC-B101-4CF8-8CCC-8E94B8740BD4.jpg

7A44D0F6-835B-48EE-AE8F-784BF5954FDF.jpg

18133DE5-2DA7-43C3-BEBA-1FE1C87D21B4.jpg

E90B42EE-C206-47D6-9B77-C0767F933510.jpg

F952E012-93DA-44CD-8FA6-2CC426C0C2C4.jpg

Made a few adjustments tonight before it goes to powder coat, I wasn't crazy over the handle and the rope system so I changed it a little bit and feel like this is better.

35BC0DB2-59CF-4A28-9919-0C6E66AA4215.jpg

794A13C9-708A-4B11-B130-93F0F1041455.jpg

0FBE64C3-D904-4009-8997-54B4ECB99E48.jpg

BB850855-B018-408E-AE07-4F2DC24051BE.jpg

I also added on to the barbs a little bit for a little insurance

4E71BCCD-DA41-40B3-A12B-5BE5A4F74B49.jpg

Now my only decision is what to powder coat it, I'm caught between flat black or a flat olive green.

Hopefully I get a chance to try it out on Sunday, if I'm lucky I'd like to make it out to mille lacs.

Dooley,

Did you round the the surface all around the barbs? My brother in-laws laser cut cut the fish apart until he rounded the surfaces around the backside and front of the barb.I like the line tie also let us know how it throws? perhaps the wooden handle will counteract the tendency for laser cuts to sail on angle throws and deep throws. Hope you get to test it out this weekend.

Mwal

Yes, I rounded every edge, there's not a square cornered surface on the spear and I'm hoping the center weight will help with sailing, it holds the spear handle and spear head in perfect balance and it's on there perfectly straight, plus I figure the flat surface would help it hold a track on angle shots too.

Well it was a fun day on mille lacs today, got to teach the girlfriend how to spear and coached her on taking two fish, one was about 20" but it was a good start for her and the spear, the second fish was 30"

The spear went straight down both times and worked awesome, the 30" fish was hit right in the head in the hard skull material. I've had spears bounce off this stuff in the past and this one pierced right through and it stuck, no shaking the fish off this one, had to kick them off, I didn't try any angle shots with it but my thoughts are with the flat surface and a forward heavy spear it should hold an angle shot without sailing.

I stayed away from the crowds in the big 3 bays. Went further north. I also bought the polar fire thermal house Saturday and it is an awesome house, I've got a 50"x30" hole diagonally in the house so a person can sit on each side and see them coming from both ways, I saw both the girlfriends fish way before she did since they came from under her feet and she was ready when they came in the hole, that house also stays crazy warm with just a small camp stove on a 1lb tank.

I also bought a new decoy on Saturday from James moening and it is a heck of a swimmer, I had a live sucker down too and that 30" locked up on that 12" decoy

7243FF15-3A0E-427E-A592-99B772C6016E.jpg

86FEDF17-ADC4-468C-8ABD-32767F66D46F.jpg

D40AA7B4-46CC-4DBF-8EB9-6B81D99F9E9A.jpg

D2A00602-13F8-4E9A-8CD1-3E8525C5604C.jpg

I'll admit I can be a little too particular sometimes, I made some changes to the spear heads. Some wouldn't notice but I do and now I feel like I have them perfect. The first one I made I actually welded the barbs because they were so small, now they are a good size right from the start. Sold my first one tonight and I have 8 more to make

60F128C9-1837-43B4-A01B-9C87FD79D723.jpg

Well designed a new spear this week and let's just say I'm pumped to give it a shot

Wow that is cool!!!

Much nicer looking than the first model.

you keep that up and I might have to take back all those bad things I have said about lazer/plasma cut spears!!!

Great work Dooley.

Merk