• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did he mess it up

Today my dad thought he would come up and vote and as long as he was up here he would go out hunting. Well he voted first and then headed out to his stand with 45 minutes to sunset. He sees a the big buck that I have been waiting for the right wind to hunt and the free time from school. The buck did not spook out of the area, but did see him climbing into his stand. How long should I wait? The neighbors slug hunt and have huge party out just to the east. My plan was to hunt tomorrow night? but I do not know if I should.

My other thought was to set the ground blind up on the north side of the field and sit on the south side without the blind in the brush pile. I am not happy with my dad because I told him about this buck. I had been watching and that is why he hunted tonight. I should have never told him about it. Any ideas on how to try and kill this buck before slug season? I go buy a slug tag and just do it with muzzle loader.

I would be money that deer doesn't go near that stand. I doubt he'll leave the area depending on the size of the area, but he won't go by that stand again in the next 2 weeks during daylight. Try to hunt an area you think he might be traveling. Stay positive. Good luck!

I'd be out as soon as I could. Earlier in the season I'd be frustrated, but this time of the season he's making all the mistakes he doesn't make the rest the year. I've had many conversations with friends/ acquaintances that have been busted by big deer or flat out missed and scored on the same deer or another nice deer in the same spot within days. I personally missed a nice buck with a rifle in 2012 opening morning, went to the same spot sunday after trampling the area looking for blood and had two nice deer fighting and managed to get one. I'd get after him before there's pressure on him or someone else gets lucky and gets him. It's a crazy time for deer, and the best time for us!

Hunt the stand, I wouldn't give it a second thought right now. 2 days ago the father in law went after a mature buck that has been running does through his yard, he had the buck at 10 yards but they were on opposite sides of a cedar, the buck new something was up and took off blowing. Next morning he was back with a doe. They are making mistakes right now.

I agree with Kyle, don't have your hopes to high of seeing him again there, unless a hot doe is leading the way.

But if the stand is in a natural funnel, you should have a good chance at another cruising buck you have never seen before.

Tell your Dad that running around in the magic hour is probably not the best way to kill a deer smile

Just BE THERE Nick. I have no idea what that deer thought of your Dad or how well he'll check the area on his next visit. Do what you have confidence in so you sit it right (not fidgeting and second guessing your decision). Pick your plan and own it.

Good luck! smile

Well here is my plan I am going to sit on the South side of the field in the brush pile and use it as natural blind. The deer are using the south side trail more, because the neighbor built a fort the size of a house on the north side for his stand. The deer stand is in a oak in the middle of the field that my dad was in. He said the deer spotted him but did not blow out. I think by using the natural blind the deer used to will be my best option. I need this rain to stop and the flag in park to start blowing the other way.

You'll just have to change your strategy. I highly doubt he left, but I'd be willing to bet he changed where he comes in and out or through. Find that spot. Also, try not to sound so emotional about the situation. Them are the ups and downs of the sport. Take advantage of the time you have to hunt with your dad, after all, it's just a deer. Good luck

Great attitude and you are right on in your last comment. I would just change it up however slightly with the stand or blind location. I wouldn't move too far. If he didn't spook, chances are he's not going to abandon the area unless he feels threatened. Tonight on the way home from a work trip, I stepped out of the car to grab a memory card from a trail card and turned around to stare right into the eyes of a doe. I know its "just a doe," but she'll be back. Depends on the pressure, situation and area. If not heavily pressured where you are, you're good. And regardless, it's your dad. Mine died of a heart attack 21 years ago when I was 18. Geez I wish he was here screwing up my hunting. But I'm glad I have kids now to do the same. Like when my 10 year old walked out to my blind the other night when the deer were coming in and literally yelled "Dad, I brought snacks!" lol.

My son was discouraged because he had never shot a deer 10 years ago when my dad shot his last buck. I told my son he had his whole life to shoot deer and this was probably grandpas last. My dad was as excited as my son was when he finally shot his first deer. He died 7 years ago but the hunting and fishing trips with him and my sons I will always cherish. I think it would have been cool if your dad would have got that buck. Those are the things you remember. I am sure you will get him or one bigger if you don't give up.

O I would have tickled if he actually shot that deer. I would have been the first one to help him track it and drag out of the swamp. I would have gave him so dump about shooting a deer I had been watching. I will keep hunting today would be perfect, but I have class all day. Tomorrow I will be out there trying to get a shot at this buck. I also will be hunting with my crossbow during the firearms season. The buck is bedding in the pines in the swamp and has to cross my dad's land before the neighbors get a crack at him.

Well I will be tracking in the morning. The hit was a little high and I did not see much for blood, but I heard a crash. I sat under the tree with the owl and a doe came out and mr big was 40 yards behind her. She came up 8 yards and stomped her foot at me and turned broad side and I let it fly at 10 yards. I am hopeful she is piled up where the crash came from.

I did she busted me and he would have not came close enough, so she got the raw end of the deal. I just wanted to get one before slug season and I will collect her tomorrow morning. The neighbor will love me driving the truck into the field and jumping the deer out of the swamp where she crashed. He was 40 yards behind her and it was getting dark.

put your dad out there and let him shoot the big one.

I also get bummed when a deer gets spooked, but, I also agree with all the comments from the other hunters. This will become one of the great hunting stories for your family to share and laugh about for years to come. I hunted with my dad since I was 14 (when it wasn't so popular for women to be hunters...) and he taught me everything I know about the woods, grouse, deer, squirrels. You name it. I lost dad to a heart attack recently and this will be my second deer season hunting alone. No kids, single, and some days it takes everything I have to go out in the woods alone. But I remember all the good things as well, and I know he's watching (I just with he'd send a big one my way). Any mature deer will do, buck or doe. but geez, I miss my dad being out there with me.

Good luck everybody! It's time to go hunting! Be safe!

wannafish2

Well with the low light I did not see a little branch about 5 yards in front of the doe. There is a cut on the bottom of the branch. For not seeing any blood and finding my bolt today. No blood on the bolt and looking at the hair. I gave this doe a hair cut and she will be just fine. I think I will go out tonight and see if the buck returns. My only thought is with walking around looking for blood closer to the bedding area might scented up the area, but the buck freshened up his scrapes from last night.