• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First off, make sure you get a shotgun style scope with the longer eye relief. It will keep you from getting kissed by the scope like using a rifle scope on a shotgun. One of my slug guns I put one of my rifle scopes on, got a good whack on the head above the eye. With the longer relief in the shotgun scope, no issues with that at all.

I have a Bushnell Banner on one slug gun and for the money, darn good scope and seems to stand up well.

I have another in a Nikon and it is a 3x9x40 power. Good scope here also but more in the money dept.

I am sure you will get different opinions on power of scopes and options.

For me, the 4 power fixed scope work just as well as the adjustable power as I do not take that long of shots where I hunt with a slug gun. I believe I can get on my target much faster with the low power scopes and that comes in handy if you are in a thick woods trying to get the deer in the scope fast.

If I had to pick one of the 2 I mentioned, it would be the Bushnell Banner scope, it may be less in money but it is not less in the quality dept, has held up well in a 20 gauge and fits the gun perfect. If funds is not a concern, hard to beat a Leupold, I have some on my high powered rifles and have been very happy with them.

Another thing I would mention is to not go with the cheaper scope rings as they can give you more issues than one would want to deal with.

Now, depending on what you are looking for the scope to do, if you want better low light conditions, then you will need to spend more cash. Of course, the better the scope you purchase, more than likely the longer it will last as these scopes on slug guns can take a beating from the recoil but don't be fooled by the better less expensive ones.

Once you have decided what brand you would like and how good of a scope you want or can afford, I would also check out the big e store online, you can find some very good scopes used for more than a fair price at times.

If I was going to be hunting mostly open areas where a long shot over 100 yards would be the norm, then I would suggest a larger powered scope and if you are in a thicker woods, I would go with the low or fixed power.

I would recommend going to the store and trying different styles with your eyes. I use a leupold on my shotgun but a guy that I work with says those scopes don't work for him. So see what works with you and go with it. Lots of options and I do like my scope but also depends on your budget. Hope you find a good one

I have run a 1.5-4 Weaver on my shotgun for years and if I were to purchase a new scope it would be the Nikkon shotgun scope with BDC, This scope is nice and it helps take the guess work out of it. It also is a low power type with a longer eye relief.

+1 to all previous post

i have a Bushnell Banner 1.5x4 on my moss500 for about 12yrs now and still wrks great

"very good for the price"

i also have a 2-7 Nikkon BDC on a 870 for a couple yrs now and it is great

really comes dwn to how much are you willin to spend.

IMO,

spend as much as you can. ive known people buy a cheaper scope only to end up buying another scope dwn the rd.

kinda funny,

but i dont use either of those guns. now i use my ML with rear peepsight

I have run a 1.5-4 Weaver on my shotgun for years and if I were to purchase a new scope it would be the Nikkon shotgun scope with BDC, This scope is nice and it helps take the guess work out of it. It also is a low power type with a longer eye relief.

I have that scope on two of my guns. I really like them.

Mine liked the 3 inch slugs over the 2 3/4 as well. It liked the accutips but I can't find them anywhere in 3 inch anymore. Settled on the federal 3 inch trophy copper. I am not thrilled about shooting 3 inch, but they were better out of my gun than any of the 2 3/4 inch. I tried SST, Rem Accutip, and the federals.

My 220 seems to be happy with Hornady SST's. I wouldn't mind trying the 3" Federals but availability is a concern.

As I experienced this past weekend, there is really something to be said for being able to put the crosshairs on a deer at 100yds, pulling the trigger, and knowing where that bullet is going to end up. The gun/slug/scope performed perfectly.

One shot this weekend with the 220 and a nice buck on the ground. Very impressed with it. The deer ran maybe 20 yards and died. I'm surprised the SST's shoot the best our of your gun, they were about the worst in mine. Just goes to show that every gun is different. For whatever reason, my gun likes 3 inch sabots much better than 2 3/4. I would much rather shoot 2 3/4 inch slugs as the recoil is much milder, but I won't give up accuracy. Availability is my only concern. I won't even look for 3 inch accu tips.

The thing is I do this park hunt this wend and then I'm in Iowa for a week . Everything is backordered!

Do you plan on shooting 25 rounds? That's a ton of shells, would last me 10 seasons at this rate. laugh

I have the Savage 220 with the Nikon slughunter as well, great combo. Funny mine shot the best with the 2 3/4" trophy coppers (even tried the 3" and the accutips). Lucky me smile

Still have a bunch of those accutips laying around because I thought those were going to shoot the best and I bought a handful of boxes.

Good topic.

Has anyone used the holographic or red dot tactical sights they have on the market? My son and I are looking at doing something like that for next year and I am looking at these as an alternative to traditional scopes due to the potential for quicker target acquisition.

Also, has anyone else purchased one of the MEC 600 slugger presses so you can roll your own so to speak? This is on my Christmas list