• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Vibrating

snagger

I have a 17' Lund Angler SS on a Shorelander trailer. When I'm towing it I do notice that the trailer frequently has a significant vibration in it. Not all the time. It seems to be speed dependent and at the right speed develops a rhythm of vibrating. I was inspecting the tires the other day and it dawned on my one tire tread is excellent and the other is worn more. The tires are the same size but different brands. Could the combination of different tread wear and different brand of tire cause issues?

If your feeling it in your truck, I would say it has to be pretty bad. Jack it up and check bearings and wheel end play. Just remember that there should be a very small amount of end play, but to much could be causing issues. Tires can definitely cause problems as well. When you jack it up, put something (block of wood, jack stand) next to the tire-wheel and spin it slowly. if you can see a wobble in the wheel it may be bent. A flat spot in one of the tires as said in post above could cause this to. just have to rule out one thing at a time. Maybe you've checked these things, but I thought I would throw them out there. I spent 15yrs working in a semi-trailer repair shop, and these are things we would check. little bigger tires and bearings, but same principal. smile One thing I should ask, does your trailer have drum style brakes on it? if so it could be coming from that as well.

I took my boat trailer to a trailer repair shop with the same symptoms. I was told, it was very unlikely to be the trailer. I said it had to be, since I just had the truck tires mounted and balanced. The the repair shop guy looked everything over and added a quip about I should be running a Ford rather than a Chevy. With my head down, I took the truck back to the dealer and asked if they could double check my wheels for balance. Low and behold, their balancing machine was not calibrated correctly and each tire was 1 oz+ out.

Do a quick examine of your trailer tires, wheels, bearings, etc... just as recommended here, but do not rule our your truck.