• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maple - not changing color?

lindy rig

I have a Maple tree that hasn't even started to change color yet. Most other maples I have seen are near peak. Also, it really did not change color last year either, just kind of dropped dead leaves.

Any idea why?

Might be dependent on the variety. Sometimes the Norway maples locally behave that way. The one in our yard is like that although the past couple years it has been a very bright yellow. It is still grass green yet where the silver maple and Freeman/Autumn Blaze maples are starting to show some color. The Norway is the last tree in our yard to drop its leaves however aside from the pin oak.

our Maples in our yard started changing about a month ago to a great red color, almost all the leaves fell off in the last week. This is in metro area. Must be the variety because most beyond our backyard the same size are a nice orange color right now.

I am not sure what variety of Maple it is. We moved into this house about a year ago and it was already there.

I was excited for this tree because everything else on our property is Pin Oak or Red Oak, Birch, or Poplar and none of those change to a very nice color either.

I have a Autumn Blaze Maple and it's still very green. It's a great tree as it's a seedless Maple. It's a cross between and Red Maple and a Silver Maple.

On the other hand, I have a Hackberry in the front yard that's totally yellow. and dropping leaves like crazy. Very weird to see one tree so far along and the Autumn Blaze still looking like it's summer.

Here in Rochester, most of the trees are still green, except for some hard maples which are turning at different rates in different places. Some will have a couple branches or a side turned and the rest green.

My big norways are still green.

Here in Rochester, most of the trees are still green, except for some hard maples which are turning at different rates in different places. Some will have a couple branches or a side turned and the rest green.

My big norways are still green.

That would be a good thing!

Each species of tree will change and drop at their own time. Some are always early and some are always late. There is nothing unusual about any of it. Also, weather can have a impact too. Its been fairly wet this year. DUring the dry years, the colors are less and will drop leaves earlier.

My silver maples and my locust trees will be the last ones to change and drop. Its a bit annoying as I have better things to do then rake leaves in the first week of November.

OK here are a few pictures I took today in SW Rochester while on my daily walk.

full-1100-49908-img_2990.jpg

Norway Maple in back yard

full-1100-49909-img_2991.jpg

Maple across street

full-1100-49910-img_2992.jpg

Crimson King in yard

(sorry for sideways, buckthorn background) Anyway it is still green.

full-1100-49911-img_2993.jpg

On Boulevard down the block, 4 maples.

I took these today to show the variety of colors of maple here.