• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alright, Jerky, you said no holding back... wink

full-18483-48781-crazy.jpg

The woods are unbelievable right now. Incredible variety out there...in the photo are about 15 hens, a pile of chants, a pile of trumpets, nine hens, one hericium, one puffball, a few hedgies, some oysters, some clubs, and some fairy ring mushrooms. I haven't seen any honeys or any pinkies yet this year, but they should be here soon, too.

Alas, I spent more time driving to and from my super-duper secret location today than I did actually picking these guys. But I'd say it was worth it. smile

I'm in St Cloud, but I do the majority of my pickin' elsewhere. Either up by you, farther north towards Bemidji, north and east up the North Shore, and then down in southeast MN.

I *might* be heading up to Mille Lacs this weekend. If I do, I'll send you a PM.

Nope, I haven't sold any. I have traded a few with guys in the neighborhood (got my brakes changed last week for a thousand chants! smile ), but I've never actually sold any. I just dehydrate and/or fry and freeze them.

This batch has actually been a bit of a nightmare....the 1''+ of rain/downpour that we had on Sunday night kicked up a ton of dirt and mud all over the undersides of the fronds. Cleaning them hasn't been fun.

Just noticed the purse and other legs in the picture Stick.... Kind of recall some bragging about being a bachelor with no ties and just a pair of sandals and a grand prix in an earlier post.....what gives????? grin

Busted grin

Yeah, I've definitely been holding back. See, most (all?) of y'all on here have adult responsibilities, real jobs, children, spouses, honey-do lists, money, and people who love you. I have none of these things, but I do have time, a trusty Pontiac Grand Prix, and a comfortable pair of sandals.

Good eye, gents. It should be noted, though, that 1) the owner of those legs and of that purse is not my spouse, 2) does not give me honey-do assignments (yet), and 3) probably doesn't love me very much. Why she sticks around I don't know. smile

take me sometime and educate me. smile

I'd love to. The picking around here is very lackluster--especially when it comes to variety--compared to other parts of the state. There also isn't much public land around; most of my picking is on private land. SJU, for example, allows hiking but it doesn't allow harvesting. Not sure why. County parks are Ok to pick, but they're small and not all that great. Closest state parks are Sibley, Lake Maria, Father Hennepin, Kathio, and those in the I-35 corridor...all long drives. Private land it usually is. Just gotta avoid the places with the funny-looking kid playing a banjo on the porch. Unless there's a big hericium growing on the dead maple in the front yard. smile

I don't know why this are is so lackluster...maybe it's the sandy soil as you head east and south? Or the rocky moraines west/northwest? I dunno. But chicken season should soon be upon us, so I'll be heading out for that when they start popping.

The pieces of the puzzle may be more clear now.....those nice legs and purse in the pic may actually be his.

"Hey Pa, there is a purdy bald girl in the yard asking if she can have that white thing growing in the tree ....well, she ain't that cute, but I likes her anyhow.... let's let her have it."

I was just hoping it wasn't a man purse and giving him a chance to defend himself.... grin those legs are pretty white for a guy that wears shorts and sandals in the woods all year....although PB may be onto something with a sort of "selfie" shot that Sticks man purse and girlie white legs accidentally showed up...