• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shot shell size or lack there of

Am I the only one noticing that its getting harder and harder to find anything larger then BB? I used to only shoot T shot at geese then I couldn't find them anymore then I switched down to BBB and the last 2 years I have had a hell of a time finding those. Anyone have any idea why?

My two cents is that those larger sizes just aren't needed. BB are big enough. I still have a few boxes of T and F from the good old days, and even in 2.75" from before 3.5" shells/guns were even made. Trying to slowly shot them off and get rid of them, as for me BB is totally big enough for the distance shots I take these days.

But I think I did see some T's lately, I think possibly at Joes, but can't recall for sure.

I haven't seen T shot in years! My guess is like you said, they are not needed anymore with how far technology has brought the shot shell industry. Now a days shells are going 1500 1600 or even 1700 fps. along with the newer metals and wads. That's my guess. But im still partial to the bigger loads.

You can still get T's and BBB's from Heavy Shot. They are marketed to coyote hunters and you will pay a premium for them, but they are out there if you look hard enough.

I think it CES down to a liability issue. Manufacturers don't want to be heald responsible for little Johnny blowing a barrel and getting hurt cause he fired BBB's or steal T shot in his daddy's gun and had too tight of a choke in it.

Kent still makes Triple B's in some of their steel loads. Federal Black cloud's might have them too. I think with the higher velocity loads now compared to 20+ years ago that BB's will do the job now in most Situations. Triple B's were always my favorites though.

I've shot my fair share of T's and F's though years ago up on the LQP firing line. Then when the early season's came out, I discovered you could actually decoy geese in and shoot them a lot closer than up there on the line!

Not to be rude, but if you have to use t-shot with current loads, you're doing it wrong. BBs will do the job just fine out to 50 yards & no one has any business shooting at geese any further than that. Not to mention, at 60+ yards using t shot, you're gonna have gaps in your spread so wide there's no way to get a reliable kill shot

Here's a suggestion for those who think they need to shoot T-shot: go out and spend twenty minutes patterning it at 30 and 50 yards. You are going to be rudely surprised.

It's a crippling and maiming shotgun shell and good riddance.