• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for fun camping spots with our new 5th wheel camper

LindellProStaf

We are getting a new to us, used 25 ft 5th wheel. We are looking for some cool spots to try it out in northern MN. Would be nice to not feel like we are in a trailer park but actually in nature type thing. May put a rear hitch to bring the boat or wheelers along eventually. A shore fishing thing would be fun or even a once a year golf outing would be fun. County parks seem more easy going type of places. ANY ideas welcome... Can't wait. Maybe even meet some of you guys....

Echo Lake NE of Orr, Pfeiffer Lake by tower, any of the state parks on the shore. Scads of rustic campgrounds in Lake County in the Superior National Forest(Harriet Lake, Hogback lake, wilson lake, to name a few) we rarely stay in an RV park type of place. Finland Campground not too far from Finland MN is cool, close enough to walk into town to get a bite to eat, but campground is pretty rustic and quiet.

Chippewa National Forest has quite a few national forest campgrounds. Take a look at Noma Lake. It's out of the way. Many times we've camped there and were alone. Across the road is Clear Lake with shore fishing spots. Clear Lake also has a small resort where you can rent a boat or pontoon, a small bar/restaurant with a great view.

I prefer to stay at state parks or state forest campgrounds, some of them have some narrow roads and can be tough to get a camper backed into though. The wife and kids prefer RV parks and larger state parks so they have more things to keep them entertained. On rainy days I like to drive to nearby campgrounds just to check them out to plan for the next camping trip in the area.

I prefer to stay at state parks or state forest campgrounds, some of them have some narrow roads and can be tough to get a camper backed into though. The wife and kids prefer RV parks and larger state parks so they have more things to keep them entertained. On rainy days I like to drive to nearby campgrounds just to check them out to plan for the next camping trip in the area.

Yeah we do that too grin But for the most part my wife likes the quiet off the beaten path places too. Not to say we don't stay at State Parks or RV parks on occasion, just not the norm.

We can make 11 + days on one tank of water and spare 6 gallons container with not refills, run the generator every couple days to maintain batteries and we are good to go.

Man you guys have me psyched to get this new to us 5th wheel. I am hoping to get it Monday or Tuesday. Those all sounds like some fun places to hit. They will be my first ones to explore. That one in the Chippewa Forest by Clear Lake sounds like fun time Woodsman. The north shore always is a favorite area for us so the Finland thing sounds great too. Would like to have electric and toilets but I guess we are self contained so we need to get used to that too. I do have a big generator but might have to get a smaller quieter one. I see Cabelas has a Powerhouse 2000 watt one for about $550. I wonder if that is any good and if it can operate an AC unit if needed? Probably not as good as a Honda but sounds a lot cheaper.

You will want at least a 3000 watt generator to power an AC unit. A 2000 will run anything in your camper except the AC. I use a Honda EU2000 and am looking for a good deal on a EU2000 Companion to pigtail with it so I can run the AC but for now the 2000 works fine and just use the fan on the AC.

Terrible news. I made a verbal agreement with Jerry and Maria in Proctor to purchase their 5th wheel. They were going to deliver it on Mon or Tue and I was going to give them a cashiers check.. My wife and I even arranged a week of vacation to use the new camper we were so excited to get. I made a courtesy call to them tonight and they said they sold it to someone else so they didn't have to deliver it..... I said why didn't you let me know that and we could have still made a deal and I could have picked it up.... I even offered $500 more and they said it was a done deal with the new people. Their daughters were up for a vacation from Utah and Texas and I am thinking they soured the deal. I couldn't be more bumbed out.... Boy that did this deal give me a bad taste of how people can be....

Both Yamaha and Honda make good(and quiet) generators. There are probably a few more knockoffs too. Get a loud one and you won't be very well liked at the campgrounds.

For things like TV we have a small bin with smaller deep cycle battery and 400 watt inverter in it. I know there are plenty of bigger inverters, but the bigger ones also are noisier and have more overhead in pulling juice form the battery. It is nice cuz it is quiet and don't have bother anyone to power some small AC devices.

Good news. We bought a Wilderness 24' 5th wheel. Been stored inside winter and summer. Has a slide that the couch is in. Has rear hitch for boat or wheelers. Real nice people we bought it from that took great care of it. This turned out ok just like you all said... I have the parts ordered to hook up in my truck. Can't wait. We are going to hit some small local campgrounds for practice runs. Would like a Honda or Yamaha generator eventually. Maybe next year. I will post a pic later.

Chippewa National Forest has quite a few national forest campgrounds. Take a look at Noma Lake. It's out of the way. Many times we've camped there and were alone. Across the road is Clear Lake with shore fishing spots. Clear Lake also has a small resort where you can rent a boat or pontoon, a small bar/restaurant with a great view.
that campground on Noma lake is about 15 miles up the road from our cabin and I've been there. neat little campground. been on the lake once. and the "lost forty" forest isn't to far from there.

I have a F-250 short box extended cab. So I see that Noma Lake campground says open till Sept 3 or so. Can you go there after that? Maybe they just don't have dumpster service after that? I may not get to go till the second or third week in Sept or even later.