• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Puppy Advice!

pheasantpro10

Well my in-laws called me tonight and ask if i wanted a yellow lab. I had a chocolate lab, and a year ago had to say goodbye to him and it was very hard to do. So these puppies are inbred. This is the first time this has happened so I guess I'm asking for some advise. I do miss having a dog but should I take a chance on these or just wait for the right dog. They are going to give it to me.. Thanks in advance for your replies.

What are your plans for the pup? Are you hoping for a high performance hunting dog or just a companion? If you want a quality field dog you may want to look elsewhere. I lost a great dog two years ago and I know how hard it is to recover from loosing a great hunting companion, I still miss her everyday. Id keep that in mind as well.

When you say inbred, do you mean line bred? How close are they?

Lots of discussions have gone on about line breeding between breeders. It's my personal opinion that line breeding should not be attempted unless the breeder has been breeding you many years and really knows the line he/she is breeding.

If your inlaws don't fall into the very experienced breeder category, then I would say "thanks for thinking of me" to them and pass on the puppy. Take a little more time to grieve and keep looking. Losing a companion is a very difficult thing.

No this was not a planned thing and it is a mother and son. I'm just thinking about it. My son just passed his firearms training and wants to go pheasant hunting and I've not gone in 3 years. I gave it up when my lab just couldn't go anymore. So I won't be doing any competition's or anything, it will just be a fishing and hunting partner. I just ddidn't know if there were physical things to look for or mental, or long term effects that could haunt me down the road. Thanks

Tell your in-laws how much you appreciate the offer but that you aren't ready just yet. Then wait a while and get a dog from a breeder who has been at it for a few years. I believe you will be happier in the long stretch

And I'd go for a BLACK Lab too, but that is just my old quirkiness coming out again! smile

Yes, that's definitely inbred, just like you said. Like the others have said, I would find a nice way to say "I'll pass" on a mother/son breeding. Far too many things that could potentially go wrong.

Certainly don't agree with a breeding of this type, but you never know it could end up being the best, healthy dog you ever had, you never know.. If your not the breeding type and plan on having the dog fixed then give it a shot, someone is going to end up with this puppy might as well be family..

In breeding dogs in no way dooms them... In fact it is commonly used to breed in better dogs for the seeing eye program. Dads are often bred to daughters to 'repeat' and further enhance a line. Dogs do not have the same chromozonal structure as humans and are not prone to the same issues of inbreeding as humans. In essence when you in breed you magnify your pros and you magnify your cons, so if you have all good things they will be magnified (biiddable, performance, looks, coat, structure) if you have all bad things they will be magnified (underbite, dysplasia, curled tail, poor coat, aggressiveness). If they are sound dogs (parents), you should be fine. If in breeding was the physical and. mentail doom for canines that most everyone thinks, wolves, coyotes and hyenas would be extinct.

I'd really punkers the parents and go from there. Magnify what you see... Physically and personality traits. The simple fact yhey are inbred in no way would scare me. If they will not be used in a breeding program, youll most likely end up with a typical dog and soon forget they were in bred. Id most be cocerned with inherited dis orders... Like dysplasia, eye problems, EIC, CNM... If the parents arent carriers, the pups will not be either, if they are, the pups will all be affected.

I just did a very tight line breeding (grand sire is the same on both sides 50% of pedigree is identical)) and these dogs may be some of the best I've ever bred. While I rarely line breed, this was planned to further enhance what I've been working towards.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for all the responses but we did get it and brought him home on Wednesday and he is doing great. He's trying to do his best at carrying sticks and fetching balls already so I think he gonna be a good bird dog! But just wanted to give an update to you all and thanks again.

In breeding dogs in no way dooms them... In fact it is commonly used to breed in better dogs for the seeing eye program. Dads are often bred to daughters to 'repeat' and further enhance a line. Dogs do not have the same chromozonal structure as humans and are not prone to the same issues of inbreeding as humans. In essence when you in breed you magnify your pros and you magnify your cons, so if you have all good things they will be magnified (biiddable, performance, looks, coat, structure) if you have all bad things they will be magnified (underbite, dysplasia, curled tail, poor coat, aggressiveness). If they are sound dogs (parents), you should be fine. If in breeding was the physical and. mentail doom for canines that most everyone thinks, wolves, coyotes and hyenas would be extinct.

I'd really punkers the parents and go from there. Magnify what you see... Physically and personality traits. The simple fact yhey are inbred in no way would scare me. If they will not be used in a breeding program, youll most likely end up with a typical dog and soon forget they were in bred. Id most be cocerned with inherited dis orders... Like dysplasia, eye problems, EIC, CNM... If the parents arent carriers, the pups will not be either, if they are, the pups will all be affected.

I just did a very tight line breeding (grand sire is the same on both sides 50% of pedigree is identical)) and these dogs may be some of the best I've ever bred. While I rarely line breed, this was planned to further enhance what I've been working towards.

Good Luck!

Ken

This^^

While it is obviously not a good idea to do multi generational inbreeding, pretty much any breed out there has had some crossing back to parents/grandparents in order to isolate positive genetic traits.

Yes, this should never be done with intent by someone who doesn't understand genetics and it should never be a goal to inbreed without also having new blood brought into the program, but one mix of this type is not going to pump out frankenstein if both parents are sound and do not have genetic or physical defects.