• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally

eyedr

I got into bow hunting last year, I have been an avid hunter my whole life but just started on the bow scene last year. My wife saw me shooting in the back yard and wanted to give it a try. Long story short she is buying a tag this year and sitting in the stand with me carrying her own bow. She grew up in a big city with family who doesn't hunt. She's always been fine with me hunting as much as I want but I never thought I would see the day she was actually willing to hunt with me. I'm counting down the days until the season starts. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post.

That being said, I have a friend who has a few food plots and needs to get rid of a couple does. So my wife asks me, will I get to shoot a big buck? I told her my buddy is really excited for her to shoot any deer, big buck or otherwise, but since she doesn't want to sit out there when it's cold we would probably take the first mature deer we see. To which she replies, well don't expect me to shoot some tiny 3 legged deer with the mange just because it's easy, I want to shoot a nice deer. Nice to see the wheels turning already.

She sounds like my 11yr old. We'll see if she can hold it together when that 3-legged mangy deer is at 12yds. I bet her heart will be in her throat. I think your confidence about your hunting has made her feel like it must be pretty easy.

I would explain to her that it may be a good idea to shoot a doe or a smaller buck to get the hang of it. if she has never shot a deer with a bow, when crunch time comes, she may not know when to draw back, or when to stand to shoot and the big buck will get away from inexperience.

Better maybe to learn he tricks of the trade when it comes to shooting and drawing back than waiting till crunch time to make a mistake a doe or smaller buck could have cured.

Those targets never move when you do and just stand there. That nice buck I am sure will react a bit different come shooting time.

I explained this to my son when he first started and he shot his doe, has the rest of his life to go afte4r the big boys and with experience, he will have a great chance at making a good, clean kill.

You are a lucky man to have a wife want to do this too! Have her shoot the mangy 3 legged management deer with her camera just for kicks and giggles. Maybe she gets the big buck and maybe she doesn't, but at least you'll have fun together. Wish I could get my wife out with me but not a chance.

Im just excited she wants to give it a shot. She's not hooked yet but I'm hoping we at least get some deer close so she knows what its like to have her heart pounding at the sound of deer walking close by. If she shoots one thats a bonus. But at least this is one time I can go hunting and not worry about what time I'm getting home!

Great to hear we may have another hunter afield! I have to say it is maybe a better idea to wait for a nice deer than to simply "take a young one" just to get the jitters out or get comfortable drawing back. My only few reasons for that, is to simply enjoy the outdoors more, and because having more deer encounters sitting it out for the trophy has taught me more about deer and bow hunting than anyone or anything.

Happy to report my wife connected on a nice big mature doe. First time she's ever been hunting for anything in her life and she got a heart shot at 15 yards. The doe went 30 yards and we found her quickly. It was an awesome experience!