• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Releases........wrist or 4 finger

MUSKY18

I currently shoot a wrist strap release but have been thinking about trying out a 4 finger with the thumb trigger. What are the thoughts? Does shooting with a 4 finger changed your draw length and will you be more accurate?

I switched to a TruFire hardcore 4 finger last year and it definitely helped my accuracy. With a wrist style release I had issues with target panic and was never very consistent past 30 yards. Now with the 4 finger I feel comfortable shooting out to 45 yards and my groups are about half as big as they used to be. The only adjustment to my draw length was I put on a d-loop which allowed me to keep my anchor point the same.

I switched to a TruFire hardcore 4 finger last year and it definitely helped my accuracy. With a wrist style release I had issues with target panic and was never very consistent past 30 yards. Now with the 4 finger I feel comfortable shooting out to 45 yards and my groups are about half as big as they used to be. The only adjustment to my draw length was I put on a d-loop which allowed me to keep my anchor point the same.

This! Only I purchased my trufire 2 weeks ago. It has helped my groups tremendously. It did not change my draw length or anchor point at all, but have heard for some people it might.

I recently got a TruFire also. I haven't spent much time with it yet, but it does seem as if I will need to do something with my draw length. Almost feels like I would need to lengthen my draw length to make it feel more comfortable and to have my anchor the same as my wrist release. I will say my groups are smaller with it, especially from longer distances.

I have used just about every kind but I stick with the wrist strap for hunting. I generally use back tension to trigger the release and there may be some difference but nothing that makes me want to hold a frozen chunk of metal in December. I tried a four finger release for hunting one year and on a cold September morning I had a doe coming in so I drew back and picked a spot where her vitals would be when she cleared the brush. The next thing I knew my arrow was zipping past her nose. My fingers were so cold that I never felt the trigger. I changed back to a wrist strap that afternoon.

If I ever got back into a serious league or competed again I would probably go back to a trigger less Stansloski two finger. Hunting is a whole different game.

I shot a 4 finger, thumb release for a couple years but after the second misfire at a close range deer, I went back to the wrist strap. The problem I had at that time was dropping my arm to aim rather than bending at the waist and the trigger tripped on my heavy clothes due to the steep angle. Some corrections in form were needed.

I did try a Scott finger held release with an index finger trigger and haven't looked back since for hunting. It shoots about the same as a wrist strap release but isn't in the way like one. I can put it in my pocket until I need it and not worry about clanging it against something accidentally. I did tie a cord loop on it for the times I do want it attached to my wrist or hang it in the tree rather than put it in my pocket.

If you're VERY careful, you can clip it on your D loop and let it hang there but you have to make sure you don't breathe on the trigger before getting a grip on it to draw. wink

By the way, rubber coated so it's much warmer than bare aluminum.

Shot wrist strap releases for most of my life.

Tried a back tension release to get over some target panic I had about 2 years ago and then I moved to a four finger release right after that and I am shooting much better groups and it helped in the whole drawing with the bow and holding on to a full drawn bow for a longer time.

In fact I let my wife try it out and we just upgraded her to a thumb release this spring after league was done, she has since been able to increase the weight she can pull/hold back and the groupings have tightened up.

I do like the fact I can hand the release on my D-Loop while sitting in the stand/blind and not have to try to clip on a wrist release on the string on an approaching deer.

My draw length was not affected by moving to the thumb release, but the windage on my sights had to be moved quite a bit.

I have both but prefer the four finger. I have never had a misfire with the four finger release and that has given me confidence I never had with the wrist release. I think this one gets down to preferences. I had too many accidental releases with the wrist release, particularly if I want to draw down the bow, it just seems that I never get my index finger off the trigger and the draw down motion for some reason put pressure on the trigger, and I don't like that. Never have that issue with the four finger release. But you hand could very well be different, so shoot what gives you the most confidence.