• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Standard Box versus Short Box - limitations?

In the next 6-18 months I'll be getting a new pickup. I've driven an extended cab Silverado for the past almost 7 years. My family is growing and pulling a toddler out of her car seat in the back is a pain. I've enjoyed having the standard box with a topper - I cram it full for deer hunting, sleep in it during spring turkey hunts, stuff it to the gills with a jon boat and decoys to waterfowl hunt, and pack it to the top with a fish house and gear for ice fishing. The question I have, is how much of a pain is it going to the short box? I know I need to measure my fish house to see if it will still fit. Do you find yourself running out of room? I have my heart set on a crew cab and the chief procurer has given the crew cab her blessing...I just want to know whats in store with the short box when it comes time for my getaways!

You will find that the back of your truck(cab ) will be a great place for clean gear( dry waders bibs ice rods vexilar) things of that nature I would assume you will be putting a topper on it and that will help you big time. I hope you find a truck that fits your needs.

I have the ext cab sized bed as well (not 8') and when I go with using sons or brothers crew cab and short box, it is always full and I always wish we had the longer bed. Granted the chev bed is longer than the ford 5' but still any "shortest bed" is tiny IMO I could never own one.

If you have some cash and are GM fan, my buddy just got a new crew cab GMC with extra large rear doors (and room!) and the normal ext/cab. sized bed (I think 6'9", same as my 98 k1500 ext cab bed) and it is a very very nice truck - big crew cab AND longer bed.

Funny, because I always call my bed a "short bed" but it is huge compared to the "trunks" they put on trucks these days. Good luck!

I know on the F150s as well you can still get the 6.5' box on the crew cab models. Might be worth looking into (regardless of brand) if you still want the 6.5' box, plus a cab full of people. Just make sure your garage is deep enough if you ever plan on parking it inside.

I personally don't think I could deal with the 5-5.5' boxes. Can't even fit a decent sized fishing pole in them!

Ya know what Scott: I cannot remember how many pickup trucks I have owned in my lifetime but I have only had ONE short box truck.

I would not do it again. Seems every time I turned around I was whining about "not quite enough room" for whatever it was I was doing.

Don't have much need for a pickup now and just bought a new Tahoe last winter. And guess what?: while I love the Tahoe every now and then we are whining about not enough room!!

My advice would be don't do it.

I have a Chevy 2500 Crew Cab with a 6'8" box. Two dog kennels, luggage for family, a cooler some other items and the bed is pretty full, especially if there are four of us. If it's 2-3 people the space in the "backseat" is very useful. I can barely fit my Honda Atv in it but it fits and I usually use a trailer so it's a rare occurrence.

For me I wouldn't get an 8 foot box because the rare time I'd ever really need it. If I only had one dog or zero there would be plenty of space back there for nearly any adventure imaginable with the 6'8" box, large and XL dog kennels take up a lot of space.

I just bought a 2014 F150 XLT Super Crew Long Box (6.5 feet)

Seating for 6 and plenty of room in the box. Or fold up the rear seats and there is a lot of room for cargo.

It is a good thing that I have the rear view camera. Backing up an empty boat trailer when you cannot see it would be a huge pain in the rear without the camera.

The extra foot of wheel base is something I am going to have to get used to, moves the trailer pivot back further than I am used to.