• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coupler question

stckthrwr

When putting the coupler on the ball, it doesn't want to close all the way. I had to use a hammer to get it to close. Then had the same problem getting it off.

I just can't push it down to lock it or pull it up to unlock. Would dousing it with WD40 help, or is there something else I can do to get it working right?

Thought I would ask here before I go to pleasureland or another camping place.

Thanks

Nathan

I have the same problem with one ball. The lip on the bottom of the ball is too high to allow the coupler to close if I set the trailer all the way down on the ball. I have to put it part way down and then start to push the lever down and lower the trailer down on the ball until completely locked.

Yeah, it says in them manual 2 inch ball, so that's what we got. I'll have to look for the nut and see if that helps. Thanks!

Nathan

It wouldn't be the first time the manual was wrong. The correct ball size should be stamped on the coupler. And for future reference, any time you need to use a hammer on something to actuate it, DON"T use a hammer. Find out what the problem is and fix it.

I went out and checked the hitch again just now. It went in fine and snapped closed right off the bat.

Maybe it was the angle it was in or something. Hopefully it will go on fine next time.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't feel a nut in there to adjust.

Nathan

Kind of a follow up question, if the angle of trailer coupler to receiver is off, would that cause the problem too? I bought a 4 inch drop for it, but now I'm wondering if the difference in height could be part of the problem.

We walked around the campground and lots of people had adjustable ones. I'm kind of thinking maybe I need to go that route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nathan

When you lower the tongue onto the ball, you can have it too far forward and the ball will hit the locking piece (that is where the nut is) and move it into a bad position, making it hard or impossible to get on. When the trailer is unhooked it usually should make this "lip" into the correct position for the next time. But if you hit it again, it will do the same.

Since you just hooked it up with ease, I bet you just had that lip a bit crooked last time. You can feel with your fingers if this is correct, and even make sure it is going on correctly next time you hook up.

For the drop, you usually want the trailer frame to be pretty level when hooked up. Base your hitch drop off of that, but remember to do this with truck and trailer loaded at normal weights, not when truck is empty if you usually load it down with coolers and bikes, etc.

Good luck. Enjoy the camping season! smile

There is a nut under there for adjustment, you just need to find it.

Also, a camper is large and heavy and doesn't move around easily. Most small trailers you can wiggle around to get the ball to seat right, but with a camper you've got a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight holding the couple onto the ball. If the ball isn't seated just right, you will have a hard time moving the camper or truck to get it to seat right, es[ecially since you should still have your wheels chocked.

I find the best way to get it to seat, is to lower it onto the ball. I get in the truck and put it in gear, just enough til I feel the weight of the camper stop me. Stop, park and then the lock will go down. Never do this unless the wheels are chocked and the tongue still being supported.

Please, dont ever use a hammer to seat a locking mechanism. It is very possible to bend the lever and then you would be in a sad place if you had to replace the coupler or worse yet the camper came off because the lock didn't engage properly.