• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing This wknd. mn river or pool 2

jamjumper

I have had a trip planned for quite some time for this thursday through monday. Are either of these rivers going to be fishable given the conditions at this point. I have been on them in high water, but this is getting a little ridiculous. is the mississippi perhaps a better option when the mn is flooding so high? any advice or info would be great...dont want to and cant really change the dates of the trip...can a person even fish?

I am not sure where on the MN you plan on fishing, but if it is down stream of New Ulm, I would look for other plans. Between today, and Saturday, the river is predicted to raise another 5 feet in Henderson. With the 40 foot widow makers already rolling down the river at 15 knots, I would be looking elsewhere to wet a line. Even knowing the river, and the area well, I will be staying off of it for a week at least. My life is much more valuable then a fish. If you do go out, always keep an eye up stream, and be prepared to cut your anchor rope in case one of them 40 footers pops out of no where and is barreling down on your boat.

+1 Scott.

I love being on the river during super high water, it's just entertaining if anything. Dangerous as heck too. Always keep an eye up river and when you do anchor, keep a scissors or knife VERY HANDY in case you need to cut anchor quickly due to a tree coming your way.

Secondary current seams....

Best explained in Brad's book "Cracking the Code"

Great read and i plan on spending time in his boat this fall to talk more about it.

During times of high water you will have the main current seam, where the river is ripping at it's fastest and there's a clear current seam. OUTSIDE of the first current seam there will often be a 2nd current seam...Often created by obstructions, points, normal "Out of water flats and sand bars", etc... During normal summer water levels, these areas will be exposed. YOu want to be fishing them now.

FIsh are getting out of the fast water. Stick close to structure in slower moving water and outside of the main current seam.

I'll repeat, ALWAYS KEEP A SCISSORS OR KNIFE CLOSE AT HAND. Make sure everyone in the boat knows where it is. I've had to cut mine in less than 3 seconds to save the boat.

Wow, cresting at just over 2 feet from the record!

And if you look at the current radar there is another blob of precip moving right towards the Minnesota River Valley. OUCH! It will be lake fishing for this guy until it recedes.

Scott is right, STAY AWAY. A fish is simply not worth it.

I went from Kato to New Ulm and back the day it crested in 2010...That was a little under 2' from the record. Pretty cool stuff. I've also floated the Big Cobb at record height. Glad i lived to talk about that one.

Not for the unexperienced...But if i didn't have other plans the next two weekends with my daughter i know that's where i'd be.