• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grandson needs carry piece-ideas

He knows what he wants. Must be hammerless semi auto with at LEAST one safety on it (remember the good old grip safe AND slide safe AND hammer safe? Ha Ha Ha)

He not liking a couple "plastic guns" he looked at and fired but has to have something VERY concealable.

He ruled out a broomhandle Mauser.

Dang.....I was looking forward to that!

Your thoughts.

Well, you really can't go wrong with a Springfield XDS or Glock 27 IMHO. They aren't the most accurate guns in the world, but they'll go bang EVERY time. I prefer the XDS, but that's simply because of how it fits me. You won't find many good steel guns in a lower price bracket in subcompacts, at least none that I can think of off the top of my head

Edit: Forgot he wants a safety. I'd go with the XDS

I have the glock 27, 40 xds, and the 40 s&w shield. The shield is my favorite to carry because it's thin and has a good safety. Plus you can't beat the price of the shield.

40 XDS?

An update: he has found a Sig he is wild about in .380 and a couple little Rugers. The Rugers do not have safety's and I think there is one other I can think of that is not equipped with a mechanical safety. He likes the Bodyguard and he has toyed with a Bersa, which I know nothing about.

Small,concealable with a safety is where we are. I might have known he'd come up with A Sig!! Why not a Kimber? Ha Ha.

Must be the LCP. I forgot about that model, and I shouldn't have because my mom has one!

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is another that doesn't have a "safety", although there is a hammer block which won't move until the trigger is fully pulled. Since the trigger is stiffer and has a longer pull this results in the "safety", much like the Ruger.

Kel-Tec also has the P-3AT if a .380 is what he's looking for.

The only warning I would mention about .380 is ammo availability. It's out there, but not in the quantities of other calibers right now. Makes it hard to practice with limited access to ammo.

You might want to do some research on the .380 as carry pistol. It is generally considered underpowered and not as accurate as larger calibers. It is better than nothing and will do the intended job. I am not trying to start a war on here just wanted to make sure your aware of the limits of the .380.

Hey 2Setters, I am familiar with the little .380 and it is not my preference. I'd almost just as soon have a load of .22 hollowpoints and hope I never needed them.

Actually, I'm still in love with my 4" 1957 Colt Python! Ha Ha Ha! Also still have the little Mauser Hsc and some others. I think the kid wants a really tiny pistola and thus the .380. I know he is doing some research too but asked me and I knew there would be some people in here who are more familiar with whats out there than I am. I am a wheel gun man basically but last gun I bought was Hi Power 9.

So many guns so few days. Or dollars. Thanks again.

I use a Bodyguard and love it. Pocket holster (DeSantis Nemesis) in the front pocket of a business suit and nobody ever knows it's there. It has a long trigger pull, but that is fine with me. Also has a manual safety, which I like. There is no way I could get away with any type of Glock, no matter the model. Just too thick to put in a pocket and IWB holster isn't an option when I ditch my coat the second I walk in the door. smith_and_wesson_bodyguard_380_pistol-tf

Been researching the Bodyguard and it sure DOES look like a nice little piece. I know of the Glock line of course but have not seen anything SMALL enough to stuff in a pocket or carry other way.

You guys can see I am running from the top of the heap to the lower end. While I'd like to see the Kimber the kid can't swing it alone (guess whose helping in this project!) and even the PPK or it's clones are not budget minded. I WILL check out the Glock 42 even though my opinion has never changed since the first day I saw one and shot it.....the ugliest dam thing I've ever seen!! Ha Ha Ha. You gotta remember, that was the dawn of the plastic guns and us old guys with our Royal Blue Colts etc. were not impressed.

Now I now they are great weapons.

But they are still ugly! Ha Ha Ha!

Thank you gents.

I just checked, 1. I still have the end of my finger. 2. My trigger finger ends about 3/4" before the end of the barrel 3. if my finger is on the trigger, it cant be in front of the barrel. wink

I suppose my finger from my other hand could be up there, but that wouldn't be very good form.

The Kimber solo is a real nice gun, but it comes with the Kimber price tag. I carry a Sig P238 in a crossbreed daily and love it. I work in the firearm industry and have tried many different guns and holsters and this is the best for me that I have found. You can debate all the small guns, but sticking with any of the name brand ones will serve you well, it really boils down to what feels good in your hand. If you can get to a range and rent a few it will really help make the decision.

Hey S'Bob, know much about the Sig but not what a "crossbreed" is. Can you steer me. Guess I have given no thought to how he's going to carry it.

And I will also look at the suggestion for a small 9r too.

Thanks again fellas. I'm learning a lot and now I'm thinking of trading off some of my old fashioned pieces for something new and whiz-bang! I was reminded last week while blowing up some old ammo through my little Colt Detective Special (nickel) that what they say about your eyesight when you get older is actually TRUE!!

But at 10' am still deadly!

There's a ton of really good guns out there. I picked the XDS in 9mm solely because of the grip safety. If that weren't a deciding factor for someone, I know you can't go wrong with any of the Glocks (if you can handle the grip angle), Shield, or pretty much any of the other guns from a reputable manufacturer. I also have a Beretta Cougar I really like, and the Nano looks like it would be a neat little gun.

I carry the XDS every day at about 4:00 IWB in a Gunner's Custom Holster. It has a single tuckable metal clip. About the hardest clothing to generally conceal in is dress pants and a tucked in dress or polo shirt (which I wear every day), but with this setup you'd never know I was carrying.

Ufatz said, "You guys can see I am running from the top of the heap to the lower end."

If my grandson was carrying for work I'd only consider "top of the heap", I kinda relate it to top of the line hand tools. Even if I had to put it on a credit card I'd consider the overall cost for his career (and potentially his life). My $600 backup will cost me $.16 per day for ten years. You can spend a little more and get exactly what he NEEDS rather than what will just work. Look at the American made Kahr you won't be disappointed...

I also have the cross breed holster and its the most comfortable conceal holster I have found to date. I carry a Kel-tec PF-9 and it is roughly the same as SmilinBobs P238 in fact his holster is the same as mine or Vice-versa grin. They had hake these holsters and they are worth every penny and If you want one order soon as it takes a bit of time to get it. that was my only problem with them, but the saying was true "good things come to those who wait".

Well men, it looks like the little pistol of choice is a Bersa Thunder 380, about which I don;t know much but will look it up. Apparently some pals of his have them and that is the way he is inclined, at least at the moment.

We shall see. Still like the Sig 232 myself! And who says there can't be TWO new pistolas in the family.

Appreciate the guidance.