• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite topwaters

whats your favorite topwater bait and do you tie direct, use a snap, or tie a loop knot? i usually use a snap and switch from a minnow plug to topwater but i dont think i am getting the best presentation

I like the rattlin' chug bug. You can pop it like the pop R, or chug it, or "walk the dog".
When the water is dead calm and the bass are skittish I like a more subtle presentation, like a skitter pop or floating rap.

I usually use a snap, but if lots of pike are hitting, I will use a light 8 inch wire leader.

Cyb

Storm chug bugs, absoulutely! I use the Bill Norman speed clips to connect as they have almost no effect on the action of the lure. They also are great for suspending lures since they don't cause the baits to sink nose first.
I also love using the Lunker City Salad Spoons. The action as a topwater is that of a slow moving buzz bait, and you can work it by buzzing it and letting it sink, jerk it a couple times etc. It is a quite versatile lure. Tie it on the clips interfere with the lures action.
God lyk!
JC

I really like the rebel popp-r's if I don't have to cast very far because the fish aren't very scittish. But if the fish are nervous I like to use Yozuri's topwaters because they are designed to cast long distance. The only thing is if you don't need to cast long distances don't use the yozuri's because when they get about 20-30 feet away from you they start losing there ploooop, and they lose there acton. I have tied my line on all different ways because it all depends on the type and weight of line you use. I like to use 15-20 lb. fire line as a backer to about a 10-15 ft. mono leader 6-8 lb. test.

Experiment, Experiment, Experiment!!!

I don't really have a favorite. I have had a lot of success with the Spitting Image, Chug Bugs, Pop R's, Skitter Pops and assorted other spitters and chuggers. I also have had success with Spooks, Buzzbaits, weedless frogs & Frogzilla, and prop baits. I like them all.

Ok I lied, I think I do have a favorite. The Snag Proof Tournament Frog in the slop.

I have a few favorites, but I do like them all.

My #1, Scum Frog or weedless frog type, I tie direct to the lure. Less weeds.

Then the Heddon Tiny torpedo. It pulls straight so I can use a bass snap.(spelling?) Great for smallies, but northerns like them to as they keep biting me off.

Super Zpooks are good to and I tie direct.