• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memorial Weekend Results

kt

Just wondering how everyone did? I fished the alexandria area saturday and found most bass in the lakes i fished to be prespawn. Spinnerbaits through the emerging green bulrushes was the ticket. Also caught some on senkos and tubes, and my brother had pretty good success using a buzzbait through the bulrushes, and a sammy on the flats. I did catch fish in last years dead bulrushes, but not nearly as many as the new green ones. Most fish ran from 15-18 inches, a couple close to 19, didn't get any over 20 though. I targeted depths from 2-7 feet deep. That might have been the reason for the lack of big fish. But who can complain about boating and releasing over a hundred largemouth bass from 15-18 inches in a day. The weather was great and the fishing was even better. Hope everyone had a successful opener.

[This message has been edited by kt (edited 05-27-2003).]

I was up north of Grand Rapids. Had medium success. Couldn't catch a cold on the lake, but the streams in between produced some fish for us with texas rigged tubes. Evening and morning were good, temps in the early 60's. Biggest fish was only 16.5 in though.

Managed to get a 21" 6+ Largemouth. The fish are still pretty spooky here in Wright County. I also caught several 2+ bass, and a 9 pound Northern Friday evening. Overall, it was a great weekend for fishing.

2 People 10 Bass a good day, but nothing over 3.5 lbs. Most of them caught on top water, a couple of suprise northern, FUN,. I did notice that all the bass were caught by GREEN bullrushes, but did'nt think anything of it. I thought bass were all done spawning.. Good fun though.

THx

Lunker,
Where were you north of Grand Rapids? I'm planning on heading up there the last week in June for a week and a half. We normally fish around Marcell: Turtle, Big Island, Big Ole, North Star, Grave, others. I'd like to hear where you go and maybe we could share some knowledge.
Coach Dog

I didn't see a smallie on Mille Lacs, but I'm only up there a couple times a year. I did get my biggest eye though 24" pig.

I did catch 2 bass about 15-16 inches on a florida rigged worm on my buddies lake. Also got our limit of rainbows from the stocked pits. Nice weather, but the bass didn't cooperate for me. Didn't see many on the beds either.

Coach Dog, my cabin is on balsam lake(approx. 700 acres). Closest towns would be naswauk and big fork. Bassin is mediocre in my lake, so we were fishing a couple of smaller lakes connected to balsam, did the best in the streams in between lakes. Up there there are these big peat masses that float in these shallow streams filled with pads and wild rice, and the bass were holding under those and any significant cover. Most were small though, biggest 16.5 inches. Tube jigs were key.
Fishing the lakes was kinda unproductive, got one bass, one walleye,and a few snakes out of the lakes, and fairly shallow. Actually got them all in under 5 ft. of water.
One of the most beautiful weekends ever though. Saw lots of beavers and other swimming mammals,as well as a tree full of 13 vultures sunning themselves at about 7 a.m in the morning. Anyways, my email is [email protected] if you wanna ask or tell any info about the north woods fishin.

Sat, Tanners lake, two small ones, bad day.
Sun, Demonterville, lost a 3 to 4 pounder at the boat, caught one 2 and a half pounder and missed a bunch. Bad day
Monday, Big Carnelian, 23 bass include on 4 pounder full of eggs, I would of thought they would have been done spawning, 64 degree water temp, oh well, best day of fishing in a while.
I just love them Bass. Great Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I was fishing on Lake Alexander and I was able to catch alot of bass (and sunfish) but we let bass go because they did not finish the spawn process.

For the InterBoat Tourny Results see Cyberfish vs. Basspastor.

Sat Mille Lacs, 3 Smallies on Grubs or tubes 16" to 18.5". Also got Pike, a 26"Eye and had 4 losing battles with Muskies. The action was slow and trolling motor got low so we went to plan B. for the primetime evening bite.

Sat Night Sullivan (Morrison):
Got there at about 8PM and watched Cyb tear it up for about 15minutes on Largies from 13to18.5" on top water. Meanwhile I was missing fish or untangling a spinnerbait. Then the bite died.

Sun. Morning 2hrs just BP Platte/Sullivan. 18",16",14"

Sun Afternoon till Dark Rock Lake(Crow Wing)
Was below expectation but we boated quite a few maybe 10-12 apiece bass from 12"-17". I missed a bigger fish on a buzzbait.

Mon. Clearwater(Crow Wing?) 11-Dark.
We probably boated about 40-50 largemouth but the biggest was about 16.5 and Cyb got two smallies, one that went 17" both towards dark.

TNSMSFAN,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Better yet, I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the most under-rated bass fishing in the country!

Come back again in September/October. It's another great time to enjoy fast and furious bass fishing.

As for my opener... I fished a small lake in western Minnesota lake and enjoyed three days of great pre-spawn bass fishing. A lot of males were caught; just about as fast as you could crank them in. I even caught two with one cast on a Millennium Lures Rattlin' Shad. The bigger females were a little harder to pattern. My biggest was right on 4 lbs and caught many in the 2 to 3 lb range. I even won a little family bass tournament with a five fish limit average 2.6 lbs/fish.

It's going to be a great year! I'm excited for the rest of the season.

Good luck and tight lines!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Sunrise lake by Lindstrom. Quite a few smaller bass shallow on sluggo types. Lucked into a 21" in about 8 ft on a spinner. Water temp was 65-68. Lots of panfishers and I'm sure they were doing well. Not a bad day. Nice weather.

My friend and I drove up from Missouri to fish the Leech Lake area on Sat, Sun, and Monday fishing 6 lakes in those three days from sunrise to sunset. All I can say is WOW!!!!...I know we caught over 200 bass per day with most being 13-17 inches but we did catch numerous big smallmouths and largemouths around 4lbs+. What a great trip! You guys have some great fishing up there and it was nice to see some Missouri tactics worked in Minnesota. Most fish came on War Eagle Spinnerbaits, Lucky Craft Pointer 78's, and carolina rigged baby brushhogs. If you are ever interested in trading out some lodging/fishing trip down here let me know. My partner and I fish for Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Marine and regularly fish tournaments in the MO, Ark, and OK area so we would be willing to work something out.

We are thinking about coming back in the Fall...when does the water cool down to around 60? I would imagine the topwater bite would be incredible around that time.

Good fishing!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by TNSMSFAN (edited 05-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by TNSMSFAN (edited 05-29-2003).]