• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Explorer's

Gardiner14

So im in the market for a new boat i currently have a crappy 16ft lund rebel thats about 11years old with a 25hp mercury on it. I fish alot of different types of water, big lakes like devils lake to small little ponds, and for everything from bass, walleye, and muskie. So! my question is in my area there is a 04 1700 Explorer SS with a 75honda on it and there is an 03 1800 Explorer SS with a 115yamaha on it. And body own either of these boats? would the 1800 be a bit to much boat for the smaller lake or is it not that heavy of a boat.

Thanks guys just dont want to end up with one type and kick my self wanting the other.

Can't help with the boat because I'm a Crestliner guy but that engine is about as good as it gets. I'd slap that Yammie on the back of a wheelbarrow and cross the wide Missouri in it!

Ask others; they'll tell ya the same. And Lund DOES make good boats, no question about it.

You've got the right boat-wrong motor. It is a terrific fishing boat and will pull kids skiing easily. Have an 04 and love it...BUT it has the 115 Yammie on it.

Get the dealer to swap out the motor. He will whine and scream and cry and hate you forever but if you pay the difference he will do it. And you will be a totally happy man with a durable, quiet outboard motor.

Just suggest to him that you WOULD buy the boat but ONLY if it had a Yamaha 115 on it. Last time I looked Mercury hates it but dealers do what they have to to sell boats.

Used to have a Lund exp 1700. I think that 04 has a 90hp max rating.

Great boat. Can do 30ish with the 75 if I recall correctly.

On a quationable day to go out I took a wave over the bow on Leech, other than that I had it on Winni, Vermilion, Etc along with smaller lakes with no issue. Very versatile.

For what I primarily fished though, I had always wished I had gone with an 18 thinking it would handle the bigger waves a little better.

If you have any specific questions on my experience with that model, i can try to answer them!

If that 2014 has the 4 stroke 115 merc, that is a pretty nice motor. I haven't heard anything bad about it, yamaha fanbois to the contrary. 2 stroke is another question.

I would go with the 18 foot or the 17.5 foot one.

What kind of Crestliner you run? About 10 minutes ago i found a 2014 Fish Hawk 1750 SC with a 115merc on it. looks like a nice boat, with alot of storage.

Those are rated for 125hp. Unless it is a ridiculous price so that upgrading to a 125 makes it worthwhile, I would pass on it. You always want max HP. Just for the fact that when it comes time to sell it, EVERYONE wants max HP (and all the toys). I know I crossed boats off my list just for that reason.

What's the max HP rating for the 1800? If it's 115 or 125, I'd go with the bigger boat. You can do more with it. Even if you hit DL or other big water only occasionally, the bigger boat will pay for itself in one trip. I have a '98 C'liner 1750 and the cabin is on a 500 acre lake. Sometimes it feels like too much boat. But then I go to a bigger lake and I'm happy I have it.

I believe I misunderstood the issue from the beginning. I thought you were dealing on a NEW boat.....as in a 2014. That situation is altogether different than buying somebody's used boat. You more or less take the motor that is on it.

BUT....of course you could drive down the street and make a deal on a Yamaha 115 and use that old rattle-trap Merc as a trade in.

The Merc might be alright. I honestly cannot remember how many Mercury outboards I have owned down through the years. Some were a PITA....some were fine.

I have a 2010 Explorer SS Sport with a 115 HP Merc. The sport is the model with the full windshield. I've been very satisfied with the performance of the motor and size and ease of use this model provides. I really like the full windshield for the storage and it provides a warmer ride on those cold spring and fall days we get here in northern MN. IMO a 75 is underpowered for the 1700 Explorer unless you normally travel short distances. I frequently fish big water like Rainy and LOW and my 115 with the SS prop will move you down the lake in a hurry. Works good for tubing with the grandkids as well.

I have a 2005 Lund Explorer 1800 with a 150 HP Suzuki EFI 2 stroke. Love the boat and the motor is bullet proof so far. It would be even better with a 4 stroke. The 2 stroke is a little louder than I would like. The current set up does 51 MPH (GPS) with one guy. Very stable boat and the ride is very good for a tin boat.