• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motorguide xi5 pinpoint

Has anyone heard of any reviews on the new motorguide xi5? Anyone down south used one where there is open water? I am looking to put a new trolling motor on my ranger and am torn between the ipilot and the motorguide.

I've seen good reports from initial use. There are also some YouTube videos out showing it in use. The spot lock looks killer next to what my Ipilot spot lock can do.

BigBehr, are you invested in Lowrance or Hummingbird? I bought a new boat last year and kept my 3 year old Ipilot. I had the option at that time to switch to Hummingbird to talk nicely to the Ipilot. Upgrading it to the Ipilot link, adding a Lakemaster chip and two Hummingbird graphs to just get me contour trolling....too much cash outlay for not much improvement for me.

Everyone talks about how great the contour trolling is with the I link set up but in my experience the mapping is far from 100% accurate which somewhat negates how useful this feature is. I continue to to it the old fashioned way with depth and observing the contours on the map. So I stayed with Lowrance units and now the xi5 looks like it may work better for my fishing style. I likely will put up the Ipilot for sale this summer if the initial reports continue to be positive.

this has been one of the hottest products the fishing industry has seen in a long time. As a dealership we have been selling the socks off of these units and for big reason

If you haven't seen one, i highly suggest you get out and check out one. Your gonna want one!!

Man I wish minn Kota would have done something like this... Oh wait, they did years ago already. That's what I would get, after years of use and abuse on our carp boats nothing has help up like minn kotas! My $.02

Man I wish minn Kota would have done something like this... Oh wait, they did years ago already. That's what I would get, after years of use and abuse on our carp boats nothing has help up like minn kotas! My $.02
Its a good point, yes, Minn Kota may have been first to the party, but I have a feeling that Motor Guide is making a better mousetrap.

Besides for folks who prefer Lowrance electronics, this gives them an option to link their electronics to.

Here is a little test that one of the fishing pros posted on another site.

The red line is Minn Kota Ipilot, the yellow is Motorguide xi5. The goal of this test was to use the "anchor" fucntion and verify how precise/consistent each unit was. You be the judge who won this particular test, but it looks pretty clear to me.full-5994-43748-img_485520(2).jpg

At any rate competition will be good for all of us in the end. I am intrigued by the fact that Motorguide has a solution now because I have Lowrance electronics. I am holding off buying a trolling motor right now until I see some more about this new option. I am glad I waited and didnt buy a Terrova last year.

I have owned Minn Kota trolling motors for decades and overall very satisfied with them. But competition is good.

I have been doing extensive, some may call it obsessive, research on the new xi5 trolling motors from Motorguide (because the Terrova has obviously established itself as the one to beat) and one other piece of information that no one ever considers or thinks about is amp draw. This is a direct correlation to how long the batteries will keep you on the water. Obviously some are heavier users of their trolling motors than others and speed obviously is key to AMP draw, but these numbers are quite telling...

Motorguide - 42 AMPs at max speed; 2.4 Hrs run time at full throttle, 4.8 hrs half speed

Terrova - 56 AMPs at max speed; 1.8 Hrs run time at full throttle, 3.6 hrs half speed.

CaptainMusky

what Thrust motors are you comparing? 24volt 12, 36, I too am interested as I have Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 on my bow and a Terrova I pilot that I use spot lock all the time while bass and walleye fishing.

Mwal

I havent seen anything on it yet either. I believe the Pinpoint connect is supposed to be available in June. I am sure in the next month or so there will be more information made available, videos and what not.

Another good resource for information pertaining to these units is The Next Bite. Granted they are obviously sponsored by motorguide, but these guys post their own videos, etc and often they are prior to "official" releases from Motorguide themself.

I as well have done a ton of research and since I do have all HDS units on my boat I went with the Xi5 with pinpoint. Now all we need to do is get rid of all 38" 's of ice so I can use it. Thanks for all the input it was very helpful.

Now all we need to do is get rid of all 38" 's of ice so I can use it. Thanks for all the input it was very helpful.
Isnt that the truth!!!

I have 1 more ice trip planned this year, then the boat comes out and its time to rig/re-rig some things. Hopefully the ice holds together for that last LOW trip. Looking forward to some slobs again.