• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Something new

KEN W

Anyone going to try something new this year?

This year I am going to plant some peppers in pots and then bring them in the house back under grow lights for the winter.

I am also going to plant some sweet corn the end of June to try to get some in Sept.In the past my corn has always been finished by Labor Day.Hopefully not this year.

Going to try some butternut squash this year. Saved some seeds from store-bought squash and also got some from neighbor who saved some from Mn. farmer's market squash. I'm guessing the seeds I saved came from Mexico, so not so sure they will flourish up here in Grand Rapids. But the locally-grown seeds should work. We'll find out ... Already have both types of seeds started and sprouted in the basement, along with a variety of tomatoes, peppers, brussels sprouts and zucchini.

Tomatillo's will be my "new" try this year they make great sauces

That's good to grow your own.There hard to find in the grocery store.My wife makes authentic Verde sauce once in a while with Tomatillos.

I got to make more room but I wanted to attempt pumpkins this year.After looking at some gardens last yr I took a liking to the idea.

That's good to grow your own.There hard to find in the grocery store.My wife makes authentic Verde sauce once in a while with Tomatillos.

I got to make more room but I wanted to attempt pumpkins this year.After looking at some gardens last yr I took a liking to the idea.

Tomatillos seem to be at Super Walmart when I go. If you have the opportunity check it out. At least the one in Rochester has an excellent selection of Mexican foodstuffs.

We are going to plant mostly the same as last year. (4 or 5 different varieties of tomatos, green/red/yellow/orange bell peppers, plenty of onion, carrorts though we are going to try the multi-color carrots also, beans, peas, and various peppers)

We are going to give corn a go this year also, however my wife and I also talked about doing a row of "popcorn" this year for the kids. It'll be fun for the kids to enjoy the fruits of their labor on a family movie night.

I am also a test gardener for NDSU Horticulture Dept.

This year....

Green Beans.....Crockett vs. Maxibell

Beets....Ace vs Zeppo

Sweet Corn....7002 vs X-tender 274A and 7012 vs X-tender 277A

Potatoes.....Yukon Gold vs Yukon Gem

Watermelon.....Orange Crush vs Super gold