• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How To Remedy My "Old Gas" Situation In My Boat

TMF89

So due to motor problems (first trolling motor, then regular motor, then trolling motor again!), I barely took my boat out this year. The last time I put gas in it was in the late spring/early summer, and the tank is practically empty. I didn't do any winterizing (everything checked out two years ago, and with barely hitting double digits on run time this year I didn't think it was necessary). One thing I normally do though is run Seafoam through the gas tank, running the engine long enough to get Seafoam-mixed gas into the lines and engine. Didn't do that this year.

Basically the boat's been sitting for 8 or more months with an almost empty tank, with no maintenance. This same situation happened over the 2012-2013 winter, however I added Seafoam from the start, and added five gallons a week or so until the tank was full. Not optimal I know, but it seemed to work with no ill effects. Because of that, I'm tempted to do that again. However my main worry is that I can't run the boat right now (it's in our garage and bunny ears would get a lot of water all over the place), so if I added gas/chemicals, it wouldn't help the lines and the engine, just the tank. However since I know literally nothing about mechanics, that's about the only thing I can do without calling over a buddy or doing some research.

My main question is, do you guys think that'll be enough? I know enough about gas tanks to know that a big worry right now would be water/condensation, if I add a virtually full tank of gas, will that dilute the water enough to at least burn it out? I vaguely know of other issues that could arise with the gas lines/connections, but I don't really know what they are. Lol.

I know I could do things like pumping out the gas or actually getting into the engine, but both of those (again pretty much anything past adding gas/Seafoam) options would be out of my range of experience, and/or would mean I'd have to buy more equipment. Obviously that's a better option than letting my motor have a catastrophic failure, but still not ideal.

So what do you guys think? Add gas and Seafoam and let it burn all the bad stuff out in the driveway? Or is doing something else really that better of an idea? Thanks for the help guys!

I think what is done is done. Wait till spring, put some fresh gas in and see what happens in the driveway with the muffs.

There is almost no moisture in the air in weather like this winter. Condensation not an issue.

At worst, the carbs will be gummed up. If you are worried in the spring, siphon some gas out into a quart jar or an empty Jack bottle and see what it looks like. Should be clear and smell like gas. Should not be amber, cloudy, or separate into layers.

I'm thinking 99 out of 100 times this is done, no damage occurs. Especially if you only missed one year and have done it regularly in the past (not doing it year-after-year is another story). Like they said above: get a full tank of new non-oxy (maybe throw in some Seafoam, Star-Tron, Stabil, etc. in case you don't get out much this year either) and let 'er rip. Just remember to change your plugs and check/top off your lower unit. Should be good to go. I like to add Star-Tron with each fill. That way there is always prepped gas going through the system and in the tank. I also like to do my maintenance in the fall because then I can just pull the boat out and go in the spring (i.e. late May this year cry )

I agree with the others regarding the gas.

The other important part of winterizing a boat is replacing the lower unit lube... the risk is that you had a leaky seal last year, and now have water (well, ice by now) in the lower unit. When the water freezes (and if there's enough), you'll likely have a cracked lower unit housing.

If it's a "newer" motor.. you're probably ok.. but all it takes is a good run of fishing line wrapping around under the prop to do some damage.

marine_man

I've always just run as much fuel as I can usually around a 1/4 of a 24 gallon tank. Use AMSOIL fuel stabilizer in the fall. Then fill it up and use AMSOIL gasoline additive with injector cleaner in the spring. Been doing this for my current and other boats I've owned for years with no problems.

Hey guys! Sorry, I forgot I made this thread lol. Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I should be alright. One really dumb question though, what is non-oxygenated fuel? Is that the same as non-ethanol fuel? Thanks.