• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quality but cheap basic AR?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent basic AR style (.223 likely) that is cheap? I gotta say, cost is likely more a factor here than "the best" but also don't want to look at junk. We are totally new to these rifles and brands so any help would be appreciated. Just general shooting, some varmint, would be the focus. Something to build upon, both knowledge and making it customized. Thanks for thoughts.

Can it be done for about $700 without much for extras on it?

Smith and Wesson makes a "Sport" model that would be close to your price point (Gander has one in their ad today). I believe Bushmaster may have a basic model that comes in around that price as well. Those are two reputable brands that you could start with.

DPMS offers a "Oracle" which is their low cost model.

Hands down the smith and wesson M&P sport is the best low priced AR platform rifle. You should be right around your price range with that model. Be aware Gander MT prices as still at the panic levels for almost everything. You can find it much cheaper online or search online for Southwest Arms out of savage. He is a small home dealer who has treated me very well and has saved me a ton compared to Gander prices.

You can also build your own for even cheaper from Palmetto State Armory. Might not be the quality of the M&P but you also have a few options such as the rail type and length and sights. PM if you have more questions, I've spent way too much time and money in the last year on AR15s.

Don't forget to get a MN "permit to purchase" if you haven't already. The card will say "permit to purchase a handgun" but you need it for AR's too. You had mentioned handguns in another thread so maybe you already have one. Just thought I'd put out the reminder if you didn't so you don't get burned like I did when I was prepared to buy the first time.

Be aware Gander MT prices as still at the panic levels for almost everything. You can find it much cheaper online or search online for Southwest Arms out of savage. He is a small home dealer who has treated me very well and has saved me a ton compared to Gander prices.

Yeah, I would be careful of most box store pricing. I just threw the name out there to give an idea of what's available at this price range and as a comparable when shopping around.

Thanks a ton guys. I have some friends I will share SW in savage name with in our search. I do have permit thru April I think but plan to get carry as well, wife is even interested now so that is cool.

You can also build your own for even cheaper from Palmetto State Armory. Might not be the quality of the M&P but you also have a few options such as the rail type and length and sights. PM if you have more questions, I've spent way too much time and money in the last year on AR15s.

All the pieces I've gotten from PSA have been very nice. The M4A1-style CHF upper I got there is a beaut. I see they're on sale now for $319, w/o BCG. A bit heavy, but nearly indestructable.

I bought a Bushmaster m4 last December for $650 on sale. I love it. It's nothing special, just a good, reliable plinker/zombie horde repelling gun. smile There might be better options out there, I don't know much about ar's, but I like it!

Bottom line...you need to do your research o what type or AR you want to get.

lots of opinions out there.....do your home work....what I like is great,,,,you might like, I may not like, etc... point being - if you can, shoot many different types....lots of good stuff out there. Everyone has there own different likes and dislikes....look at a bunch and shoot a bunch it you can...there are tons of great ones out there. Check them all out - as many as you can.....

I just picked up an AR from Gander a few months back. They price matched an online store for me reducing the price almost $300. I asked to speak with the store manager and let him know that I would prefer to purchase in store since they had the gun available for me to look at, but if they couldn't price match I would just use the FFL service to have the same gun delivered to their store minus tax and price difference which would cover the cost of the FFL fee and leave $300 in my pocket.