• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vet Questions

deerminator

I brought my dog into the vet the other day because a rash he had under one of his legs didn't seem to be going away. They assured me he was fine, that it was a large abrasion, not staph or anything like that, but gave me some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory pills. More on how he likely got the rash in a moment.

So while I was at the vet, she commented on how he still has a dime sized bump on his back that she would like to remove. It's not cancerous or causing him pain but she says its a good idea and that we should really clean his teeth too So they could do the bump for basically nothing while they had him put out for his teeth cleaning. She said not cleaning his teeth could be detrimental to his health. He's almost 5 now. So what are your thoughts on removing non-harmful bumps or teeth cleaning? They have me sucked in to the appointment as my wife says about the dog "He's like one of our family members." But I have a co-worker who loves her dogs telling me I'm a chump to get that done for $200.

Now, for the rash story. We're pretty sure the dog got his wound because a neighbor down the road ran over him with his car a few weeks ago and didn't tell us about it until last Friday. The vet says it looks like a big abrasion or road rash from when he was under the car. The neighbor ran into me and asked "if your dog is still alive?" He told me he saw him take off afterwards and thought he must be OK. It all makes sense now. My son let the dog out without his electric fence collar on that morning and he was gone for about 20 minutes before we noticed. Then he showed up with the white patches of his fur all matted down black. Gave him a bath but never noticed the rash.

I'm entirely against letting your dogs run free in the countryside, BTW, but this was a one time deal and I talked to my son afterward about the importance of the dog always having his collar on when he goes out. I just wish we would have known about the accident earlier. The vet said there were no internal injuries thankfully or we would have noticed by now.

A good beefr shank bone once a month keeps their teeth clean for next to nothing. I've never paid to have my dog's teeth cleaned... BUUUUT, if they are really full of tarter, I'd probably have it done to get a head of it and then do the bone thing after that. If the teeth get bad and begin to rot, you CAN lose your dog. An infection can get into the jaw bone and you are in trouble. Plus you don't want to start losing teeth and paying to have them pulled... 5 is too young.

If you do the teeth, might as well do the lump. The cost is in the anesthisia anyways. I never remove the fatty growths, but if he is in there for one, might as well do both.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a Springer, so does my daughter, the vet has told both of us not to worry about the lumps or bumps. We don't have the same Vet, she lives in Vancouver, Wa. So take that for what it is worth.

I would, however, recomend the teeth cleaning. I have brushed the Springers teeth since she was a pup. The wife has a little "ankle biter", I brush her teeth too, but we have to have hers cleaned every couple years. It has lost a tooth to gum disease, but the Springer has never had to have her teeth cleaned.

I think what is worth noting here is everyone treats their dogs differently in terms of care from the vet.

I have the mind set from experience with our other dogs that have since past, lumps are no big deal. Likewise, we get our dogs shank bones and the like to clean up their teeth.

Glad it worked out for you!!

As a side note, some of the vets we have taken our dogs to for up to date shots and the like always tell you about other things that should be looked at...dont get me wrong - thats a good thing, but sometimes they come across as a salesman trying to get more $$ out of you....like when you go to get your oil changed and the mechanic mentions, "by the way, your car got other problems too".

Lastly, (thought I'd share this) my yellow had an issue 2.5 years ago where he would eat and then 1-2 hrs later puke it all up. Told the wife he's fine and I'll take a peek when I get home from a business trip. Get home and he is still puking up his food in the same manner. This was going on for 2 or so days.

Take him to the vet to have the "once over look". She comes back with x-rays I told her to do. The rat bas#@$%&d ate and swallowed one of the nipples from a baby bottle (had little ones at the time in the house) - totally plugging up the end of the stomach.

Asked the vet the inevitable question: If I do nothing, he dies. If I get him operated on, its gonna be really expensive - both to which she answered Yes!

Initial cost quote from her was over $2,500.00. After negotiating, we arrived at $1,048.00. I got lucky.

Point I'm trying to make, try negotiating with the vet. It can save you money.

Sorta sounds like vet may be pumping you for cash. Vet even said lump is harmless so then..why bother removing. Dogs get bumps, lumps etc all the time. I would teeth clean either unless horribly bad which I've never seen. As others mentioned..get a bone out once a week

Unless the lump is really bothering you or the dog I'd for sure leave it alone even if you do the teeth. Why cut into a dog for no reason? Whenever you have a wound on a dog you always run the risk of infection, even if the risk is small. Why create a small risk over something that poses no risk?

As for the teeth its possible they are bad enough that they need attention. Hard for us to answer that without seeing the dog. However, I would be skeptical that the vet is just looking for add ons. Don't write it off entirely but proceed with the appropriate amount of skepticism.

Its the classic "up-sell" only with a heavy dose of guilt trip. They even have the check list and make you sign off on not getting it done just to put it in front of your face again to think you'll feel bad for saying no. There was some 20/20 of nightline episode on vets recently just trying to gouge people. And all I could think about was the last time I was there and it was the same thing to me. All places are not like that but its gotten bad at most.

I will not speak to anything regarding gouging or taking advantage of clients but if you trust your vet and have been going there for some time I think you have your answer. She could have done x-rays and other diagnostics to follow-up on the car hit but she obviously didn't think it was a big deal. If she was unethical as some have suggested she had a golden opportunity.

From another perspective, there are bacteria in the mouth that can contribute to all sort of heart issues so keeping the mouth clean is a good thing. People go to the dentist before they have heart surgery (if there's time).

If the mass is benign, not bothering the animal, not in a location that would become a problem if it grows, and not showing a significant growth rate you could reasonably leave it. Your vet may actually be trying to save you money by suggesting its removal during the dental to save on the costs of a second procedure if you would need to have it removed at a later date.

There should be no feelings of guilt or anything similar and you should be leaving your vet feeling good knowing that you have a trusting relationship. If you have any doubts I'd look for a new vet.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I definitely don't thing she's trying gouge me. And I trust her. Just wondering about other peoples' experiences. I did a close look at his teeth tonight and some are very brown around the tops so probably a good idea. He used to chew on rawhide rolls quite a bit but doesn't care for that as much anymore. After I get this cleaning done, I'll look at the shank bones.

If the bump is benign and NOT growing, then why bother. If it's growing then get it out. As for teeth, as mentioned above bones work well, I also brush my dogs teeth myself about twice a month just to keep the old chompers in better shape.