• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strappin quad on trailer

bgmny

What are people using to strap down wheelers on trailers? I've been using two ratchet straps, but have broken them from the wheeler bouncing up and down. Do you compress the shocks while strapping it down? Where do you tie it to on the atv?

I sit or use my weight when chinching the straps. It takes some bounce out of the ride. Check the rating of your straps. Even though a wheeler is around 600 lbs, when in motion, its effective weight is much higher--buy straps accordingly.

I tie mine down with 4 straps per quad. I use ratchet straps hooked to the frame of the quad, set the parking brake and compress the suspension some. Spend the bucks on decent straps, the ratchets work nicer and there is less fear of ever breaking a strap or ratchet. IMO I always stop a couple miles from where I started to make sure everything is still secure. I also bring an extra strap or two in case something were to happen.

don't use rachet straps, they get to tight, and will break. if you use them, don't get over tight, like most people do. the wheeler is 600 pounds plus, and thats a lot of weight bouncing around. best thing is to tie a rope on the machine, it takes more time, but it works better. and always pull over every now and then to check tensions.

I use 2 pieces of logging chain chain on the front and 1 single chain on the back. Then a load binder on the back chain to cinch the whole thing down tight. Wheeler doesn't move an inch! People have said it is a little "overkill" but the nice thing is I can put a lock through the load binder and the wheeler is virtually theft proof from the trailer.

There are solid lock down devices out there as well. Two that come to mind is the ATV Lock and Hold Down system by Fulton Performance and the Hasty Hitch. The Fulton Lock resembles "the club" from the auto industry that locks the steering wheel of the car.

The Hasty Hitch is a device that locks your trailer hitch of the ATV down solidly.

I have used both and they do work well.

Both of these can be found on the web.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 09-15-2004).]

As with any kind of strap they can break. be it a rachet or a cinch strap. I perfer cinch straps. good ones. 1500lbs good. and i only use three per wheeler. 2 in the front on the frame compressing the suspension some. one on the back directly to the hitch on the axle. This way it allows the suspension to work as if it where being driven. There is less stress on the straps.