• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions wanted: Best tires for an ice fishing ATV.

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All...

In your opinion, what are the best "off the rack" tires out there for an ATV used for ice fishing?

Before someone chimes in and says tracks... Sorry, they're not tires. Besides, I can't afford them...

Also, screw in ice studs. Friend or foe? Opinions?

Thanks....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I screwed in self tapping screws into the knobbys of my front tires and it worked great. It doesn't take a lot, maybe 10 per tire. I used little ones so they wouldn't puncture the tire itself.

I was really suprised how much of a difference it made on the lake 2 winters ago when there was no snow.

I have 26" Titan 589's on the Rincon but switch back to the stock radials for the winter. My 589's seem to dig down to much where the radials stay more on top of the snow. I think my next set of tires will be the ITP ATR's. They look really rider friendly, radial ride but has 6ply rating. I've heard positive reports about them and they now have a 26" model.

I'm with Ole on this one, tire chains are your best option. I had screw in studs on my ITP 589's and after the first ( and only ) year they didn't do the job I had hoped. I put on my factory tires and bought a set of chains with much better results, they will be going on again this year too.

Mike

Did you do chains in back only or all around?

------------------
Fish is supposed to be good for the brain, but fishing is even better for the imagination. Fishing seems to be divided, like sex, into three unequal parts: anticipation and recollection and, in between, actual performance.

I also agree as chains as the best set-up. I have a set on the back of my 400 sportsman and rarely get stuck. Last year our group of ice fisherman busted through 3 miles of 12inch plus snow to our secret honey hole in the woods and of the 4 wheelers with chains only 1 guy got hung up for a moment. Put chains on and you will be more than pleased!!!