• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

extremely difficult rope starting 550 Polaris

Timber

I bought a used 2010 Polaris 550, and almost can't pull the rope start. Once it gets going it's OK to rope start. I know it's cold, but I've never had a snowmobile this difficult to rope start. What could be wrong?

You might want to check the routing of your starter rope, make sure it's has a clear path or run through any guides that might be there.

How tight is your belt? Does the sled tend to creep at all?

Just a couple thing to check.

Mike

I had a 2000 550 Sport Touring and when it got cold it was a little harder to pull over and I did not have Elc, start on it. frown

Just don't reef of the pull rope, start out slow and then give her a good heave. I even told the guy that I sold mine to that when it gets down below zero she will take about 5 pulls to start it with the first 3 feeling like you aren't turning it over very fast but she always started, even at -20 below! wink

I had a 2000 550 Sport Touring and when it got cold it was a little harder to pull over and I did not have Elc, start on it. frown

Just don't reef of the pull rope, start out slow and then give her a good heave. I even told the guy that I sold mine to that when it gets down below zero she will take about 5 pulls to start it with the first 3 feeling like you aren't turning it over very fast but she always started, even at -20 below! wink

If they are that tough, I wonder if switching to a fully synthetic oil would help?

Mike