• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a couple of used sleds-need some advice

CigarGuy

I'm back at it looking for a couple of used sleds by Saturday. Been looking for several days and haven't had much luck. Just sold one of my wheelers to get back into snowmobiles after 15 or so years. First off, I only have about $3000.00 to spend. I have a couple I have been trying to look at, but tis the season for people to be out of town. One is a 1999, MXZ 583, 22xx miles for around 1500.00 and a pair of 1999, ZL500 and 600efi for around 3000.00, These have around 3500 miles on them (they will be back in town 12-31). Having trouble trying to connect with these folks by Friday. First off, how are these choices? Anybody else know of any other good sleds for sale. I have looked at some XLT's, but my son thinks they're old and heavy. With only 3000.00 my choices are limited...I'm also trying to find something not rebuilt and under 4000 miles. Help please!

Wife and I are in our mid 50's, so nothing too wild. Want to explore the trails around Lake Vermilion and ice fishing. 3 mile trips to the ice bar at The Landing for some hot chocolate smile. With the $ amount I have, I don't know if I feel comfortable taking too long of a cruise.

I would think that you could find a couple Polaris Classic Touring 2-ups in late 90's that are in good condition and maybe about 3-4k miles for $3000 for the pair - and I bet they would have electric start and reverse too. I think very reliable and cheap to own, but I have not owned them, but would in a heartbeat. I have been seeing them, but with the snow they might be sold quick. I would not be afraid to take $1500 sleds on nice trips, long trips, as long as it is not your "first" trip on them.

My wife likes out yammie 2up as it rides so nice, but I gotta say, it is fun on the lighter sled. You can also find late 90's to 2000 polaris XC's for about mid to high teens and my xc500 has been really a good sled to own and fun to ride. I am in mid 40's and probably would not get another sled without reverse. I don't mind the pull start, but reverse is necessary in my next sleds. Any two-up should have reverse and electric start, and I love that part of mine smile

Thanks, I don't think I want a 2-up sled. I almost bought a 99 Pantera Classic 2up and backed out of it. I'm afraid that they are too big and heavy for trail riding. I equate it to buying a minivan, makes me feel older than I really am smile Boy, am I going to catch heck for saying that! With that being said, Leeches new ride sure looks nice!

Thanks, I don't think I want a 2-up sled. I almost bought a 99 Pantera Classic 2up and backed out of it. I'm afraid that they are too big and heavy for trail riding. I equate it to buying a minivan, makes me feel older than I really am smile Boy, am I going to catch heck for saying that! With that being said, Leeches new ride sure looks nice!

Dude you are pushing the envelope there! smirk

I may be just as old as you but I drive the old folks sled because I like the long track and good power for ice fishing mainly and hate getting stuck in the slush. frown

And I may bring up the end of the pack when riding with people like MR & Mac, but when you get those new sleds we will have to give it a run and see if i can keep up! grin

Seriously Leech, if I had the funds, I would buy a couple newer 2-ups, you have a nice set up. When I had my old XLT Special 15+ years ago, I use to ride with speed demons that would have to wait for me at intersections. I'd say did you see those deer stands or deer-they would never see them going like a bat out of he!!.

Seriously Leech, if I had the funds, I would buy a couple newer 2-ups, you have a nice set up. When I had my old XLT Special 15+ years ago, I use to ride with speed demons that would have to wait for me at intersections. I'd say did you see those deer stands or deer-they would never see them going like a bat out of he!!.

Are you sure we are not related? confused

Sounds like some conversions I have had as well with the waiters! I like to sled mainly because it's another way to get back out into the woods and it's a very good way to find new hunting spots if you can ever stop to look around! grin I always bring a gps with me on my sled in case the guys I am riding with never stop, that way I can mark good looking areas and then check them out the following fall maybe on my Dual Sport bike when I can take some time! wink

We use to have a lot of fun doing poker runs (back when you could-think mid to late 80's) up in the McGregor area. It's amazing that I still have all my body parts, after the 3rd or 4th bar, there's no way I should have been on a machine. It's a good thing that times have changed with that kind of activity. Dam n, it sure sounds like I should be driving a minivan! It was some nice riding back then in that area. We would pull into Pier 65 and I swear there would be over 100 sleds parked at the place.