• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera Advice

So, my wife(and I) would like a nice camera. I take a ton of picts with my cell phone, and always wondered what I could do with a nice set up. Our budget is right around 1K, maybe slightly more if its worth it. I found on an web page this deal.. worth it or not? We both like to take pictures in our garden, so macro stuff for sure.. but I like taking picts of critters too.

Thanks for any advice.

Canon EOS Rebel T5i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM & 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lenses. Includes: Wide Angle & Telephoto Lenses, 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD), 16GB Memory Card & More!

$999.00

should be just fine. if you want to compare different cameras just goo gle (camera model) VS (camera model) and it will take you to snapshot dot com / compare. great tool. you might also want to look at photoshop elements 11. inexpensive way to tweak your pics and lottsa fun.

try EOS Rebel T5i VS D5100 for a test run on the site.

Deitz,

That seems ok for that kit. You might consider looking for a T4i if you can find one. They are virtually identical cameras and they should have heavy discounts. Those two lenses are the standard ones that are put together to come up with a kit. You may find in a short time that you outgrow them, but that is ok.

I see National Camera is selling the T5i for $650. You can buy the 18-55 and the 70-300 for about $100 each used. You don't need the filter kit that comes with all the pre-packaged kits and you can certainly find memory cards for very cheap. You can pick out a bag that works for you and fits your needs and still have a bit a change left over from a pre-packaged kit.

They are also selling the T3i at a substantial discount. If you use the video portion the T5i has autofocus the T3i doesn't. You can shoot at substantially higher ISO with the T5i and the autofocus is improved substantially with the T5i. Many choices but that is a good thing, you can match something that will meet your shooting needs!

If you need some more help feel free to ask!

If you need a hand with some of the terms and shopping for a starter camera look at this POST

Thanks guys... I just feel so lost.. I want a big ole flashing neon sign that says buy this one.. it fits your budget and will make your wife happy. Heck- anything that takes better picts than my iPhone 5 will make me happy. And it takes pretty darn good picts.

I like to take macro of flowers and play with the field of view or focus.. Is there a best camera out there for the kind of money we are talking about? Or do I need to expand my budget?

The camera you are looking at will be just fine for macro, its the lens that will do all the work for you. That is one advantage of the DSLR, you have a wide variety of lenses to choose from for what ever use you need! On the macro side Canon makes a 100mm macro lens that is great for the money that will do a bang up job!

If garden pics are a priority, to save a few hundred $$$, you could skip the macro lens and go for the Canon 18-55. I've taken quite a few satisfactory flower shots with it. If you check out my gallery in my sig, you will find a category for flowers. No macro lens involved.

def a total amateur and still learning photographer, but i picked up a nikon d5100 for about $600 with a 18-55 and a 55-200 at sam's. I want a macro lens soooooo bad, but in the meantime the 18-55 does a pretty good job.

I'm with you, Dietz. Dazzled and confused by the options. I just pulled the trigger on what seemed like a good deal, plus Nikon is great brand (not looking for a Ford vs Chevy) so I figured I could be confident I was purchasing a quality product. Sam's didn't have the flashing neon sign though.

here are some example macro shots taken with the 18-55.

full-20574-40188-06162012(36).jpg

full-20574-40190-05062012(87).jpg

love my d5100 also. smile that's a good price for the camera and the 2 lens. I like to play with the macro also but i dont use the macro setting on the 18-55. I use the p setting so the flash doesnt pop up when I dont want it to and the manual focus. heres a couple close ups of small frost on the window. cropped and sharpened a bit. I put the cover to the grill on the snow outside so they would pop a bit. full-27930-40193-129c.jpg

full-27930-40194-129h.jpg

should be able to find the camera with a 55-300 also for a good price also if you want a little more zoom. I bought a refurbished one right from Nikon for 220. they can be found for around 200 online. so for 6 to 650 you should be able to get the d5100 and the 18-55 and a 55-300. I'm sure canon has good deals also if you prefer that. have fun deciding and post those pics when you get that DSLR! smile

Keep in mind folks what the photos above demonstrate are close up shots NOT macro shots. A macro shot by definition is one in which the subject is larger than the sensor or 1 to 1 magnification. Simply said it is when the subject is larger than life size.

The life size 1 to 1 can be achieved with a macro lens. If you want something larger than that you need extension tubes or a bellows. The tubes and bellows can be used on other lenses than macro lenses as well so you could turn your ordinary lens into a macro.

So if all macro lenses give 1 to 1 magnification why different focal lengths? It is to provide you with choices on how far from the subject you get that 1 to 1. A 180mm macro will keep you a few feet away from the subject while a 60mm macro might get you a few inches away.

It can be beneficial to be further from the subject for instance if you want to use lighting on the subject. This was shot with my 300/2.8 from about 8 feet away but again this is a close up shot, NOT a macro shot.

2DBL0598-M.jpg

I don't currently own a macro lens so I can't post examples but a quick search on the net will give you examples of the same subject close up and then macro. Keep in mind that the greater magnifications that a macro gives you will need a tripod. The depth of field and narrow planes of focus that you use will demand it. You can't handhold a MACRO shot, remember it will be life size or larger!

We have an informative post at the top of the forum titled Photography Basics. It has a nice discussion on macro if you want to peruse it. I hope that clears up some mis-information on the difference between a macro and a close up shot.

There is a lot of good advice here. I think that the big thing is to know what you want to accomplish first and buy a camera that will meet those needs. For my little bit of advice, I would get as much body and lens as you can get for your budget. Filters, bags, memory cards, and such can come later a little at a time.

I do agree that Adorama is a good place. I have watch hundreds of their videos. Both before my purchase and since. I would also suggest looking at your local shop too. What I found was that the prices are all about the same across the board. Since it was my first DSLR I went local, so I could ask them for advice.

Macro photography was one of the things that I wanted to do with mine, but haven't really tried it yet. Kids seem to keep me pretty busy with the camera.

Good luck and have fun.

On a side note.. I see that the T5i is good for movies.. if I dont plan to do much for movies am I paying for something that I dont really need? Would I be better off with the Nikon 5D100? Or ? And I only say that because many of you seem to have the D5100 and seem happy.. could I get a similar package of 2-3 nice lenses for about the same money?

You need to go to a store and hold each camera in your hand. Find out what feels right to you, how the buttons are layed out, menu layout, etc. No one here can tell you what is best for you. Canon, Nikon, all the major manufacturers are producing quality cameras. You will be investing in a system so take that into consideration.

Video, I prefer video cameras for video work but use my DSLR when I have to. It is nice to have the capability. The new cameras have video auto focus which is fantastic.