• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle Heating Question

Drama King

What works for me is pointing the back of my generator towards a low tank.

I've even pondered of building a collapsible insulated box that would cover my tanks and generator at the same time. You could run those babies dry at -40 smile

You can also just bring extra tanks and use them until they quit. Then use the bottom of the tank on a warmer day wink

Another option is a 100-lber.....

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to play around with extreme conditions, things aren't going to work like they do in the driveway. Propane won't vaporize below a certain temperature. Going to be some left in your tank. How much? Depends on how cold it is and how they are mounted or how you position your house to keep them out of the wind. Many variables. Quite a few of us bring a spare tank along and as soon as one is used up, switch it out. Then get to town before the next front and (gulp) pay for 30 pounds of propane when only 25 or less actually fits. Are you in for a treat when that nice fluffy 3" of snow in the afternoon gets driven all night long by a stiff nw wind. Much more comfortable waiting all day for the plow truck when the heater and generator are running...and the fridge and bait pail are full.

Also with the larger furnace it will draw the tank down faster. The faster propane leaves the tank it acts like a refrigerant and frosts up.

An update on my heater. I called the owner of I.C. a week ago. Said he would get back to me. Haven't heard a thing yet. I will wait until after xmas and call him back.

I just got back from red lake and my 20000 worked fine . It was 8 deg out when I fired it up , it took a bit to warm up . But it stayed warm , it seemed to run for 10 min and shut off for 10 min at night . It wasn't 20 below out so I'm not sure how it would be . Anyone time there 30000 at night to see how long they run for and shut off for ? My gambler is all spray foamed

go for the upgrade to a 30,000bty. I got an 8X16 Mille Lacs and had problems with the 20,000 taking to long to heat up. Contacted Suburban with the model number. They said it was a 16,000 with a bigger fan. I did the upgrade and it is awesome. Runs less (time wise), is quieter and I believe it will use less propane. It is worth the $150 for the upgrade, and I believe you will be glad you did it.

I was locked in for two in half days at leech lake for eelpout in that ground blizzard, so glad i upgraded to the 30000. Oh an 20lber dont work very well in place of the 30lber they come with, I hooked up a 20 in my yard just thaw things out from the long weekend, it ran great for a few hours then it was just blowing cold air, 20lberes are not a good back up for a funace of 30000, an even a bud told me he tried the same thing an his funace is a 20000 match up the apropriate size tank for the furnace u have.

I was locked in for two in half days at leech lake for eelpout in that ground blizzard, so glad i upgraded to the 30000. Oh an 20lber dont work very well in place of the 30lber they come with, I hooked up a 20 in my yard just thaw things out from the long weekend, it ran great for a few hours then it was just blowing cold air, 20lberes are not a good back up for a funace of 30000, an even a bud told me he tried the same thing an his funace is a 20000 match up the apropriate size tank for the furnace u have.
40 lbers would probably be the best.

I was stuck at eelpout with the same situation! Glad that I upgraded as well. The good news was that I could have bunked with the 40+ foot Class A RV that drove well over a few miles out onto the ice if my furnace went out. Biggest rig I've ever seen on the ice! Loudest that I have ever heard ice crack when that rig drove up next to us. Holy moly.