• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Extended Warr.?

I was wondering how many of you have opted for the extended warrranty on your ATV? I still have the option yet to pick it up. Drawback for me is I put on very few hours/miles. Is the cost of parts alone worth the $500?

Yes its worth it. It covers labor charges also .. $500 is about enough to cover a couple oil changes at several dealerships(warranty centers) these days.

It could even be more important for a rider who does not ride much to have the warranty.. carbs tend to get gummed up amongst other things.

Its good to have some peice of mind.. anybody can get a lemon.

I made the mistake of buying an early 2002 Polaris 700 Twin Sportsman. Luckily for me and not Polaris I also bought the $599 warranty with zero deductable for five years. Receipts are worth $2,500 to date with no problems in almost a year. The machine has been back to the dealership several times. Before the speedomotor was replaced it had 760 miles on it now it shows 240. The motor serial number is 000000002XXX

Not using your machine a lot since the time one buys it does tend to hide problems; since they might not show until 300 or so miles. I think it's a good investment since labor rates are probably about $80 an hour also.
I believe extended warrenties are also transferrable, if you should sell the machine.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-24-2004).]

Extended warrenties can be worth the price especially when you have a problem with the machine that is warrety related. You must read it thoughout. I.E. Oil changes and Tune-ups are not warrenty. Gummed up carbs are not warrenty. These are maintainance issues that warrenty does not cover. They won't pay for worn out brakes etc. They will cover a failed part due to defects. It has to be said. If you don't ride it a lot drain the carb. or you will be paying for it. Just my 2cts.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

I've heard a lot of people bashing the extended warranty for this reason - they often won't cover what you need done. Whether it be a part that isn't covered or they choose not to take your claim because they determine this was not from "regular" use (i.e. racing, extreme use of machine, etc.).

I'm not sure about the whole deal. I've heard a lot of bad things on the Polaris extended warranty in particular. Polaris Star? Anyone hear of the same problems?

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 01-26-2004).]