• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Trail Cam when it gets cold

weatherstation

I use a vexilar battery to run mine and don't have those problems anymore. I don't know if that is the issue you are running into or if you're talking the camera itself freezing up. All problems will cams and cold for me were always battery related.

Most of us have spare vex batteries or aren't ice fishing in conjunction with trial cam use so all you need to buy is the adaptor box and you're good to go.

Kinda with snowfighter have a Moultrie that runs on a mass amount of D batteries like 8 of them or is it 6, see how little I ever replace them lol, but there's no worry about cold, 1 set November 1st will last till the snow is gone or at least that's been the deal for 5 years now and it will take thousands of pictures below zero or not doesn't matter or it hasn't yet mattered, insulated don't even understand that just strap it to your tree. I have a spring fed waterhole that never freezes and the deer use it like crazy all winter and it's how I finally found out the bucks in my area carry antlers into March every year with a few starting at the end of February. Good luck

I've been using a Cabela's Outfitter Series 8MP IR Trail Camera and haven't had any issues with it tanking in the cold. I think it has seen a few nights in single digit temps and has held out very well. 8AA Duracel Duralock batteries and it is still going.

t0dw.jpg

It took numerous pictures before and after this one.

OLder cameras draw more power than the newer ones. My older camera performed poorly even with the vexilar battery on it.

My new last year Primos 46 uses AA batteries and it ran all winter just fine. It took lots of photos last winter. A set of batteries was usually good for a month of picture taking, several hundred pics. In the summertime, that same camera will last 3 months and thousands of pics on the same batteries.