• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST TIRES?

Iron Cowboy

Hey guys, I dont really keep up with the new accessories that are out so Im looking for some help. I need new rubber for the wheeler. Its a 2000 Foreman 450 es. I would like to get something aggresive for the ice and snow but not too rough a ride. I like the looks of the big v-pattern tire that look like small tractor tires but they also look like they would rattle my teeth loose on hard ground with the rougher ride the Hondas have. Anyone have them on a Honda? Price is also an issue, I want to keep it as low as possible so I need to keep the stock rims. ITP's I looked at long ago were nice but pricey. Anyone know of anything theyve come out with in recent years thats a good bang for the buck. Thanks, Pete

Goodyear Mud Runners have a good ride. For a tish more ground clearance, I'd go with a 26" tire also.

There's also radial tires that work better on ice and snow but, the price does jump up. When upgrading, price is usually an issue to most. smile.gif

I would check out the Dennis Kirk HSOforum.. they have a good assortment of tires and good prices. For most tire designs, there are other companies that make similar tires for considerably less.

The *V* type tires you are referring to are very good in snow and mud. I'm running super swampers on one machine and the ride is a little different, but its not rough. I think the difference in the ride is more due to more tread plies(stiffer tire)than it is to tread. A 6 ply tire is much stiffer than the cheap 2(usually), or sometimes 4 ply that come on machines, but they are much more durable and rarely get punctured. I would much rather hear a little more tread noise than be sitting on the ice with a flat tire, or stuck in a snowbank or the woods someplace I should not have been stuck.

Fisher Dave brought up some good points that I failed to. Also, look at the center tread/lug area of the tire, where the lugs will touch the ground. That area of the tire/lugs should be making contact with the ground all the time. If the lugs are placed so they don't, that'll give you a rougher ride.

Most of the aftermarket tire kits that I have put on in the last 2 years have been the ITP 589 series tires. They dig real well in the snow and the mud. I would recomend that you stay with the stock size tire though. I know it looks cool and all to have more ground clearance but is harder on your drive train. just my 2ct's.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yea I really like what I see with the ITP 589's I guess I'll have to do a little looking and see who has the best deal on them. So now if I order them anyone have an easy enough way to get my old ones off and mount the new ones? Or if its too much for a guy to do in the garage without the right equipment etc. any idea what it costs to have done? Thanks, Pete

getting the tires of honda can be a mother. Your better off to bring them in and get them mounted. By the way where are you located? Maybe we could strike a deal.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

My suggestion for 26" tires shouldn't be harder on any drivetrain than stock size tires. You don't have to add any suspension lift to run this size plus, the ATV will have a bit of increased ground clearance; meaning, it'll be easier on the ATV to get through deep snow and over obstacles.

Thanks Dave I think your right. After a little looking I've found the ITP mudlites. There are some pretty good deals on them on HSOList,quite a bit cheaper than the 589's and look like they would work fine. The claim is they are very light so I'm sure 26 inch would be fine. Thanks again, Pete

Ive got a set of the Itp all terrain radials..they are an excellent all around tire..radial tires have a larger "foot print" than regular tires ..more of the tire is in contact with the ground...spreads out the weight of the atv better ,,and smoother ride,,, they are sposed to last longer as well...guess only time will tell there... but they hook up well on all types of terrain maxxis also makes a good radial ,,think theres are calld bighorns

Some older but interesting read on tires for ya guys.

http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=48925%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-13-2004).]

You should try Shadetree Powersports in Big Lake. The tire prices on the web seem resonable and I think they'll mount the tires for you. They do have and HSOforum or you can stop by their building in Big Lake and order and pickup right there.

A friend of mine has Mudlites on his and they seem to work very well. I have Blackwater XT's on mine and another friend has Outlaws. They all seem to work well. The Outlaws are better than the Blackwaters and the Mudlites in the snow. The Outlaws are more of a true mud tire than the other two, but aren't as smooth a ride either. The other two are better on hardpack than the Outlaws and all three do good in the mud. Overall they are good tires and would recommend any of them. It all depends on where and what you will do most of your riding in.

Thanks for all the help guys. One more for ya. I know the stock tires have the front ones a little narrower. mine are I believe 9" wide in front and 10" in back.I cant remember for sure and I'm at work so I cant go look. Are the rims the same width front and back? I'm wondering if its just an inch or two whats the big deal ,cant I just put the same size all the way around?I cant see how it would make much a difference?

You can. I would stick with stock width in front if you want to maintain the current r steering effort. When you go wider, it is slightly harder to turn at slow speed.

Also, you have to make sure you have side clearance in the front if you go wider than stock width. Example is, tires rubbing on the shocks.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-14-2004).]

Another factor of putting wider tires on the front is it tends to eat up the CV joints a bit quicker.. But the traction is generally a heck of a lot better, and you wont sink as much.

If you really like to play around in terrain, especially mud, its worth going wider in the front.. but as stated, it makes it harder to turn at low speeds(including when stuck) and it does work your machine harder in certain situations.