• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 merc 200 opti max

smalliehunter

i have an 02 200 opti max. i ran it low on oil, so i bought 2 gallons and filled it up. was winterizing it today, brought it to a lake and put some fuel stabilizer in it and went for a little run. about 10 min in, oil alarm went off and motor struggled to run and died. checked oil and tank was empty. was going to start it to get back to landing and engine had a terrible knocking sound! not good. Any estimates and what its going to cost? just looking for a worst case number. with out buying a new motor.

I don't think you ought to screw around I would call a Merc dealer for advise . Having said that I think that you need to leave the cap loose on your small oil tank until the air is pumped out. I am under the impression that the onboard computer will not allow you to blow the engine up from lack of oil so think positive . Let us know what happens please

I doesn't sound good and I agree with Cheers about taking it to a Mercury dealer to have it checked. Where did 2 gallons of oil go in 10 minutes and why didn't the motor foul out??? Worst case is the motor is toast which means it probably isn't worth fixing. It will be interesting to hear what you find out.

Worst case $$ to repair is way more than the outboard is worth running. Check the engine mounted oil tank and see if it is also empty. The engine should throw a alarm-code and reduce drivabilty if it runs low. The main tank in the boat is pressurized from the engine and that pushes the oil to the engine mounted tank. If the cap is loose on the boat mounted tank it will not build pressure and push oil to engine tank. Regardless they will throw a code when the engine tank runs low but will also go into guardian to protect the powerhead.

some thing dosnt add up ? 2 gallons oil at 50/1 mixture = 100 gallons fuel.

Are you saying yo burned 2 gallons of oil in a week ? I suspect you engine is running leaner than 50/1 (Iknow my 135 opti is) so that is over 100 gallons gas

I have rebuilt my 2001 175 XR2 twice (same 2.5 L powerhead).

These are pretty easy motors to work on.

If the block is good and you can get away with honing and rings, then a complete rebuild is less than 800 bucks including the complete gasket set, etc.

Needless to say mine no longer has oil injection.