• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley 2nd Weeknd

Bwana

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot a couple nice bucks in there but the last few hunts I've run into more and more guys. I used to have a spot almost to myself. Not anymore. So I'm going, but I'm a lot less excited about it than I used to be. Good luck everyone.

I've shot a couple nice bucks in there but the last few hunts I've run into more and more guys. I used to have a spot almost to myself. Not anymore. So I'm going, but I'm a lot less excited about it than I used to be. Good luck everyone.

Ya not sure I'm going to go any more. Went once 7-8 years back and didn't care for it. This year was no different, I didn't have much trouble finding a place to hunt away from others but its just too much of a lotto ticket style hunt for me. I like to know the land and have everything scouted out and you just can't do that there.

Yea sometimes you just have to keep moving until you find a spot for yourself. I feel over the last few years I've been running into more people in my normal spots and have had to find new ones. With that being said I will be applying every year.

The best rut action I ever saw in Ripley was 1998 when the hunt was 10/31-11/1 or something like that. My area was torn up w/ scrapes. Had a decent 8 pointer come by and fight with another buck that was his twin. He won and I grunted him over and shot him. Then the other buck came by me wondering what the commotion was. I had him mostly dragged out (he weighed 188) when my buddy saw me and said he shot one too. His was a gigantic 9 pointer that weighed 247! Thing was like dragging out a cow! Anyways, with the lateness of this hunt, I'm hoping to find similar rut activity this year.

I think there is plenty of room for the amount of hunters. But when you don't have much time to scout and only 2 days to hunt it can be a difficult place to hunt. Also after talking to guys that have hunted there for many years I don't think there are the deer that there once was there. But it is what it is and you either like it or you don't.

I think there is plenty of room I only had one year where there was guys in my are and when they seen me they waived and then proceded on and never hurt my hunt I shot 2 does that year in the rain one at 60 yards and one at about 10 yards both went maybe 20 yards and dropped. Thats what I like about the bonus tags if theres no bucks around your area, you can stick a couple does.

One thing I've always said about Ripley: If you NEED to have total control of your hunt - Ripley's not your place.

Hunting Ripley actually helped my confidence for hunting public land. Geez, before that if there was a person or un natural noise around me I got really bummed. But after seeing how deer move through people at Ripley, it all became a new game.

More times than not at Ripley I haven't seen the BIG one but there was this one time that I took a shot at the biggest buck of my life (still) at 22 yards. The shot was deflected but I was in awe of just seeing that deer. Another year I actually heard the biggest buck of the hunt get skewered, crash and die. The thing about Ripley is it can happen anywhere and at any time.

If you NEED to have total control of your hunt - Ripley's not your place.

grin Ya this is me. I actually hunt all public and I am use to people walking around and moving deer. I just hate not being able to scout and hunt where I want to.

no they weren't Peaple got the at 530 and were 7 cars back from the front they dont even open the gates till 6 some ppl are ridiculous about this hunt

read camp ripley week one forum on here and it tells you all

Whoever reported that on the internet was wrong because I talked to guys at the head of the line and they were there way before 5 and there were a lot of people lined up before 5 and no one got kicked out of line. I know what the rules say but apparently they don't use those much.

I didn't even get in line each day and was one of the last to drive in. The first day it was pretty light out when I got to my spot. The second day was less people and it was still dusk when I got to my spot which was about midway into Ripley.

no they weren't Peaple got the at 530 and were 7 cars back from the front they dont even open the gates till 6 some ppl are ridiculous about this hunt

read camp ripley week one forum on here and it tells you

all

A co-worker arrived at 1 and was 4th in line. Last year at 5am we were 1/2 mile back.