• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Golden Retrievers

wdgold

Great choice on breed! Try Gold Meadows out of Richmond MN. They have been breeding golden's for a very long time.

They are awesome dogs, but can be kind of lazy at times. My dog is super lazy most of the time, which is great because he is VERY steady in the duck blind, and doesn't break on the shot. It's also great because the 9 months that he doesn't hunt he's a lazy sack of potatoes!

They can be great dogs, family and field, with that being said they can be lazy at times.

A couple of things to look for...

1. Health clearences ALL OF THEM on both parents..

2. Make sure the puppy comes from 100% field lines NO show lines or titles in the 5 generation ped. If you want a dog that is really lazy doesn't care for birds but looks good buy from show lines.

3. If possible buy a puppy from proven parents that either have FT or HT titles behind there name, ups your odds on getting a dog that will want to work in the field.

Try Tom Lane in Elk River " Thistle Rock Kennels" Tom and hi wife Lynn have been golden people forever and Tom is very active in the retriever games, he has a few litters a year and produces nice puppy's. Iv'e ran with and judged his dogs and recommend them.

Daryl and Vera Frisbie have some of the finest field trial Goldens in the country but you will pay for them. If you're looking for a family pet go to the humane society if you are looking for a hunter or field trial golden look for an appropriate breeder.

Daryl and Vera Frisbie have some of the finest field trial Goldens in the country but you will pay for them. If you're looking for a family pet go to the humane society if you are looking for a hunter or field trial golden look for an appropriate breeder.

Oh I'm definitely looking for a hunter.

My golden is from Thistlerocks. He's almost 11 and been a great bird dog and family pet. Great nose, lots of drive and easy to train and swims like a fish. Took about 3 years to settle down. He has had thyroid issues and lots of lipomas the past few years. I would definitely pay more up front for good field stock and health clearances.

I couldn't replace him with another golden, so I went with a pudelpointer this summer. Great dogs, just lots of burrs. You have to give them a good trim before the season.

I have owned 2 goldens and both have been great hunters and pets. I bought both from breeders but neither of them were from great hunting lines. I got them both on alot of birds their first few years which I think is key. I have also had a lab and in my experience the golden was calmer, and easier to train. My goldens have been great hunters.

Agree Daryl has had some great dogs, not sure how many litters he has had in the past couple years, he seems to be slowing down ( and so would I at his age)...Great guy and certainly dedicated to the breed and the game..

[pease read forum rules before posting again: thank you] Give Roz a call. She is awesome, one of the best breeders I have ever met! She happens to specialize in Goldens. I know most of the golden breeders in the Midwest. She is one of the best! This is who my Golden came from, and where my all of my dogs will come from. All of her dogs are hunting machines, and un believable family dogs.

I'll give Gold Meadows the nod too. I hunted there a few times and liked the look of their dogs. Got an email from her a few years later about puppies and got one. Nice small size, nice coat that does not get "hot spots", great hunting dog and great family pet. Best golden I've ever had. She also doesn't charge as much as others, my dog who is 4 was $500 and the latest pups were $650.

Julie usually only has one litter a year I believe and the pups were born in August this year.

how do you guys deal with cockle burrs in the long coat? When my dog gets them, especially in his arm pits he stops hunting until they are out. I cant blame him, but it gets really annoying having to stop and pull burrs for 45 mins.

I use a horse comb to get them out or cut them out if need be. The horse comb has metal teeth and the gaps between teeth are further apart than a regular comb. It works the burrs out pretty slick but still is a hassle when there are a lot of them. I have a lab also, anything stuck to her comes off with a swipe of you gloved hand. One of the negatives of having a golden.

Not sure if you are still looking for a Golden Puppy, but if you are, I have a litter that will be available on Feb. 9th.

The female is out of the Frisbie line of Golden's and the Male is Ike out of Thistle Rock Kennels. Here is a link the the pedigree for this litter

[Note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You]

if you want more info: [email protected]