• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cam on Public Land

Asandir

Hi all, looking for any advice or pointers. I understand probably do at your own risk, but is there any advice to putting out a trail cam on public land?

I would have to guess that the area I am looking at is used just don't know how much.

I would like to see if there any deer around but don't want to throw a camera out the window either.

Any tips would be great.

I put my name and number on mine. I haven't lost any yet (knock-knock) and ive got plenty of pictures of other people/hunters. If someone calls, ill send them my pics. Better that than loosing the camera!

Also, I do try to hide them a bit. Thing is you know your taking that chance at loosing it. I usually use my cheaper cams on public... unless its a giant buck and I want the best pics possible. Then I just risk it!

Put it up high.... bring some climbing sticks and set it up in a tree... chances are someone will not notice it.. even if they do they would have to come back with a ladder or there own climbing sticks I figure by then go ahead and have it if they go through that trouble.

Lock it up. I've had things stolen, cameras included, on private property that borders public land. A lock won't deter a determined theif, neither will putting it up high, but it will stop that random passerby with little morals from just swiping it.

Locks are for keeping honest people honest. Thieves looking to steal cameras will have the tools needed to deal with locks and cables. Hanging them high will help some as most people do not look up when just passing through a woods.

I have a set of camera's primarily used for public land. Look around local wallys and online for clearance. I've found 6 or 7 moultrie cams that I bought for $30 each that I mainly use for scouting public land. I always hang mine as they seem to spook deer less. I usually have mine running on 1 min. vid+pics and they usually last about month or two.

No matter what you do they are still at risk. For two years I had no problems at all with just strapping the cameras to a tree. Two years ago someone took my cameras down and stole the SD cards. Cameras were left behind.

Last year I got Camlock boxes and cable locks. The boxes were lag bolted to the tree, cable locked to the tree, and the lock boxes were locked with hardened coupler locks. Two cameras got stolen. One of them was pried off the tree (you could see where the bolts were torn out), and the other was cut off the tree (remnants of lag bolts were left behind).

This year I upgraded to smaller cameras, and got some API hardened lag bolts. These lag bolts are extremely hard to cut. So these are now in Camlock boxes, lag bolted to the tree with much heavier duty bolts, cable locked to the tree, and the box is locked with a narrow opening hardened coupler lock.

I have no illusions that some low life meth head won't steal them, but at least he is going to have to work for them. Somewhat similar to how I had to work for my money to buy them.

I put my cameras out in July and pull them before mid Sept. That gives me an idea as to what is out there and reduces theft opportunities . No one really likes to walk back into these areas during the Summer with the ticks,black flies and mosquitoes. Not looking to pattern the deer as there are too many variables with public land and pressure - just trying to see what is out there and keep others from stealing my gear and pics.

1. Get as far away from human traffic as possible (both in regional location of public land from cities and location of camera from road/parking areas on public land).

2. Don't leave it out over weekends.

3. Place it up high enough in a tree (with no branches to climb on) so that it is out of reach of humans.

4. Lock it up.

5. Have it password protected so it can't be used by others without the passcode.

6. Expect it to get stolen.

Good luck.

Thanks,

I didn't buy a lock box as I didn't know about screwing in the lag bolts to the tree, how frowned upon that would be on public land. I figured it would be more of a use at your own risk type of venture.

On that note what are some good options for a few cheaper cameras but still would take decent pics?

Thanks,

I didn't buy a lock box as I didn't know about screwing in the lag bolts to the tree, how frowned upon that would be on public land. I figured it would be more of a use at your own risk type of venture.

On that note what are some good options for a few cheaper cameras but still would take decent pics?

I have (had) 3 Moultrie D55's. They were around $80/each. I just bought 3 Bushnell Trophy Cam's (IR) for $120/each. The Moultrie takes better pictures than the Bushnell.

You can get some Wild Game Innovations cameras for around $35 from Tractor Supply.

For each camera I have another $35 for the Camlock box, $15 for the cable lock, $3 for lag bolts, $10 for the SD card, $5 for the coupler lock, and $5 for batteries.