• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where and when to shore fish for salmon?

My friend and I would like to try our hand at salmon fishing- preferably wherever the big ones are going to be found. We fish strictly catch and release, we simply enjoy the challenge and the fight. I've tried doing some research online and it's difficult to get a good idea of where to start. Obviously Lake Superior is the main (and only) area for big salmon, but I've read that the Poplar River and Baptism River and other tributaries can produce big fish-

In fact I read that the largest King Salmon was caught from shore on the Poplar River. At any rate what time of year (I'm assuming Fall) and what location would be my best bet for finding the big salmon? What type of lures or baits would be preferable? We will likely be using spinning gear. Thanks for any info!

The odds are against you. They quit stocking kings. There are still a few oddball fish around but its a needle in a haystack kinda thing. At least before you could still go to the Wisconsin side and have a chance but now they have quit stocking also. Your only real chance stream fishing kings is to hit up the U.P. or Canadian areas that are still stocked. Basically the U.S. side is gonna be pinks or coho.

Yeah, Kings are very rare on the north shore. Pinks and cohos usually run the rivers in early to mid september. So basically, you'll have to wait until next year to hit the fall run. I don't know much about fishing for them while they're running, but it's pretty similar (if not the same) to fishing for steelhead...float salmon eggs or yarn along the bottom and hope for the best. But as far as lake fishing goes, river mouths are always a pretty good starting point.

Thanks for the info both of you. I read somewhere that out of all three species that the Kings thrive the best, so I figured my best chance would be those- but I suppose if people are keeping their catch then it makes sense to not see them often.

At any rate it would be fun to reel in some pinkies, they look like a fun fish. Would the same rules apply with these fish? Early to mid September? I'll give it a go next year, any recommended spots? Thanks for your help!

You can find Pinks in pretty much any river on the north shore at those times, even later in Sept. They wont bite anything though, you will have to run your line through their mouths and hook them that way. People say they don't taste good but I didn't mind the few I've cooked up. Smoked was the best way. Good luck and don't get too frustrated with the amount you see vs the amount you catch.

I've also heard the meat on pinks deteriorate pretty quickly once they hit the streams, so you definitely want to get there run is beginning. It is pretty cool seeing them clogging up the streams. Temperance and Cascade Rivers get some really big runs, but as mentioned already, pretty much every northshore stream gets at least a few.

You guys rock! This definitely helped me out. Dr. Juice you mentioned that the pinks won't bite- I read that as they travel upstream they do very little feeding or won't feed at all, but they will make reaction bites at times. When you suggest running the line through their mouths do you mean snag them? I'm a bit confused.

I've had a reaction bite once and it was on a full size night crawler. There have been many times I've bounced a lure/bait right on their nose and they just sit there or swim away, hence my comment about do not get frustrated with the amount you see vs the amount you catch. Also I have never really traveled upstream for them. The ones I've caught were just past the mouth. If you want to call it snag go ahead but its not like I'm throwing on a huge treble hook and ripping it over them.

No I wasn't really thinking that, I just wanted to get some clarification. So from the sound of it seems catching the pinks will be a bit of a challenge- are the cohos easier to target then? If nothing else I suppose I'll get some trout mixed in during my attempts.

There is no guarantee coho's will even be in the rivers. I don't think too many northshore streams get any runs. Any coho's caught on the northshore are typically nomads from other parts of the lake. Read up on the regulations and fish identification. Lake Superior has ALOT of special regulations that differ greatly from one species to another. I've seen many positive reports from people who cast from the break wall in Two Harbors throughout the year, but a long handled net is a must.

I have caught lots of pinks over the years on small silver spinners fishing where the river enters the lake. As said the kings are almost all gone. I see a few each year in the Cascade but in November. If you want to catch salmon and big ones you are in for a long battle. The last time I saw a good number of kings was in 2001 you are 12 years late sorry, but that was nothing compared to earlier 90's and 80's. I remember being a little kid going with my grandpa and dad down to the Cascade River from the cabin and them always catching lake trout and king salmon. I got to fish at the river when I turned 12.

Every time you think you want to catch big salmon that fight (like you mentioned), add up what you would spend driving, sleeping, eating, etc. going to the big lake to fish transplants (where you'll more than likely be skunked on salmon). Then in a few years you'd have enough $ to go catch native saltwater run fish in the streams they were born in. North to Alaska my man. Get an Alaska Airlines cred card right now and you'll have your ticket paid for by then too. ;-)

Like the others mentioned, you can buy a ticket to have everybody else do the work for you (short of you reeling the line in) or you can get the personal satisfaction from doing the work yourself. Whatever floats your boat. To get to your questions, I havent encountered a Coho since the mid 90's. You may find Kamloops, Brookies, Browns, Steelhead, and the occasional Pike.

Yep, coho are rare in north shore streams. Sometimes you can have good fishing in late winter/early spring around the river mouths out in the lake fishing for immature coho's but that's about it. Fall stream fishing for salmon is mainly for pinks. They will bite though. Ive caught a lot on small jigs. I usually sight fish as I'm not interested in snagging and like to watch them hit. It can be frustrating as you do see a lot that wont hit but its a numbers thing. Swim your bait by enough and maybe one in twenty will dart over and bite. Sometimes they like it slowly swam above them and sometimes letting it fall two to three inches in front of them seems to get a reaction strike. It also helps to use a little stealth. So many times youll see someone standing right over a pod of fish and complain they wont bite...well ya, they are freaked because your hovering over them. I think they are a lot of fun to sight fish with light tackle and its a pretty area.

From your other post regarding trout here, I would prefer that you don't even go to the North Shore. The regulations are clearly stated, and you have clearly stated that you ignore the regulations. The North Shore rivers are precious gems in this state and the deserve to be respected. Please stay away.