• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why I love hunting

rcook72

Tonight I couldn't make it out to a section of land my brother and I have permission to hunt. Over the last few years I have met some other guys that have permission to hunt the same section. Tonight my brother text me that there was a truck in the usual parking spot we use. I didn't recognize the vehicle as anyone who hunts the same property as us and thought it was someone who hunted the farm next door. So my brother decided to just walk and sit on the edge of the woods so and not go to any of our stands. I had already decided to drive out there after work to glass in order to try and put more pieces of the puzzle together for our herd. Ends up it was the guy was hunting the neighboring farm. He had shot a doe and came out early to get his vehicle. I drove up to introduce myself. Turns out he is a great guy. Long time bow hunter who had a lot of knowledge of the woods we are hunting. We shot the breeze shared some stories. In the end we told each other where we like to hunt as to not mess each other up. He even offered for me to use one of his stands that borders the property's if he isn't there. To me that's what hunting is about. Meeting new friends, sharing stories, respecting each other. My brother didn't walk into "our normal spot" so he wouldn't mess up someone's hunt. He respected us for having respect, now we have another spot and someone to hopefully share our experiences with.

Agreed! Glad you had a good encounter!

I've posted the first come/first served angle on public ground enough to make people think that's my preferred mentality. It's not, but it is the rule of the road. I hunt a mix of public and private, and on the private land with multiple people having permission, we're always quite gracious and usually get respect in return. Sometimes to the point of scheduling alternate weekends.

It's a great thing to communicate your locations and get a feel for who your fellow sportsmen are. It just makes things easier and more fun.

Great post!