• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

snare question

Kyle

I made 50 snares today for the first time. They turned out awesome! So easy to make these things. I boiled them to get the grease off but am wondering if it is necessary to dye them? If it is necessary to dye them, what color should they be dyed? I'm thinking they will be used before there is snow and when there is snow, so brown and white?

Boil in baking soda but then put the hose in the pot and run the oily water off the top before pulling the snares back through it. You could spray paint them but no need, if you use enough soda they turn a light, very dull gray color that blends well with both the foliage and open air behind the snare. Remember we look at a snare from 5-6 feet up with the ground as a background, critters see snares at eye level or even a touch above eye level with the sky oftentimes as the back drop.

I've dyed , them ,boiled them ,painted them and all worked . Many times now they get made up wiped with some balsam or cedar boughs and hung in place . I do the wipe with my hands too and never worry about gloves like I used too . I do brush them in with very thin twigs or grass to break up the profile . Nothing like giving them a necklace . wink

TD