• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MBRB Hunts

DonBo

They drew last night. I'm in for the Oakdale hunt. It's right in my backyard, we walk through there almost daily. This will be my first metro hunt in years, pretty excited.

Who else drew for a metro hunt?

Good luck, Don! I don't know anything about these hunts- is it any deer or doe only? Regardless, it'll be nice to walk out the front door and be able to hunt right away. Convenient!

I am assistant coordinator on one hunt and I got drawn as an alternate for Shorewood which is just 5 minutes from my place. I've done very well on that hunt.

Congrats on Oakdale. that's a fun hunt. We will have to talk before your meeting . I've done that one twice and my buddy Dan has done it a couple times too.

Scoot- Most hunts are any deer, but there are a few that still use the "earn a buck" rule. Its up to the city/county tht hosts the hunt.

I put in for 7 different hunts and didn't get drawn. 1st time I didn't draw in the 7 yrs I have been doing the MBRB hunts. They changed the draw system and I applied for stuff closer to the West side. Guess I don't like it based on not getting drawn for anything. That OK though, the last couple years I didn't see much or have much fun anyway in those hunts. Last year I did Oakdale and the year before was Little Canada.

Sounds like a good organization and hunt system overall though. I may apply some year when there is a bowhunter safety course in my immediate vicinity or have the foresight to find one available a couple of hours from home that isn't booked solid already.

I applied for the St. John's hunt too along with the other 500+ people an did not get drawn. Sounds like if you didn't have the safety course certificate, you were out of luck as while not a requirement, those hunters got priority in the lottery.

deerminator, did you get your app in for the city of St Cloud? The first 200 who applied were in. Some great properties available for hunting. Also, if you are over 18, you can take the course online and then go to a field day for your supervised portion.

Thanks Bobb-o. I will have to look into the SC hunt next year. I have thought about it. I also knew about the online option. I just need to take the time to figure out when I can do the additional needed field day. It's really more about signing up well in advance for a session in my nearby area. Good luck on your hunts!

Norsky- In the past all hunters that show up to the meeting get to hunt in Shorewood because they have so many places to hunt. It isn't a guarentee, but I would bet on it.

92python- The new draw system is actually more fair than the old system, however MBRB has gotten more popular and if you don't apply for enough hunts than your name isn't in the hat enough times. I also live on the west side, but I still applied for 12 hunts.

Johnnie- Each hunt is a little different, but in general you have your choice of where'd you'd like to hunt on the property. The coordinators will steer you in the direction of good hunting spots to make sure you get shots at deer. Shooting deer is the goal so you will always be in a place that gets you a chance. Some places are very specific and some are pretty general about their spots. You will learn more at your orientation meeting.

Powerstroke - I liked the old draw system better. All the draw dates weren't on the same day. They drew for a few hunts one day, a few more a couple days later and so on. If you didn't get in on the early draws you would see that and try for other hunts that drew later on. I don't know if one is fairer than another....I imagine the new way is much less work though.

The problem with the old way was that the hunts that drew later would get very few applications. People would forget about it and the late draw hunts wouldn't even have enough people to hunt, but because of the type of hunt they would still have to be done late season.

In the current system it is more fair as everyone has an equal chance and it is completely computer generated random draw. In the old system, it required a constant resorting of applications to reorder the draws for later dates. Some guys would add or drop based on what they got drawn for. Now you pick all your hunts in advance. If you're willing to hunt it, sign up for it. If you're not then don't. I would say apply for as many as you can and then go through and use the ranking feature to rate your hunts in order.

This new system with a preference point and ranked draw will take a year or two to get used to, but I think its a great improvement, especially for us on the west side of the cities.