• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to replace pull handle on motor

mrpike1973

hi 9.9 1990 yamaha the handle for pulling the rope was chewed by a dog. i want to replace it. can i pull the rope out clamp a vise grip to it with a soft cloth or rubber as not to damage the rope. cut the knot and retie or do i need to put on all new rope if so i would have to bring it in. also with the knot just a simple granny knot work or? is the handle something i can get at a yamaha dealer thanks.

hi 9.9 1990 yamaha the handle for pulling the rope was chewed by a dog. i want to replace it. can i pull the rope out clamp a vise grip to it with a soft cloth or rubber as not to damage the rope. cut the knot and retie or do i need to put on all new rope if so i would have to bring it in. also with the knot just a simple granny knot work or? is the handle something i can get at a yamaha dealer thanks.
It's really not to hard. Get a new handle from the dealer or for a lawn mower at Fleet. Pull the rope out so far and tie it off on the throttle handle so it doesn't go shooting back in the rewind. Cut the knot off, burn the end of the rope so you have a clean melted end and tie on the new handle. Then untie it from the throttle handle and go fishing! wink

Jeeeezzz....I remember that happening to me n' my granpa in 1948 on the little 3HP Yohnson we had. Granpa found a nice piece of oak, about three inches in diameter, hand bored a hole through it and we were good to go. The wood was more or less square and it took many years to wear it down to where it felt comfortable in your hand.

We finally had to junk the motor. But by golly ganpa's handle was still good. We transferred it to the lawn mower.

As dan mentioned, you're fine using the old rope as long as it isn't spooling all the way out when you crank the motor. That's happening then you'll damage the recoil eventually.

If you do need to replace the rope, it's a relatively easy process. Most manuals show you how to do it or I'm sure you could find a ton of websites or online videos. You essentially take off the cover, undo a nut or two and wrap a new rope around.