• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need a new bow

Okay so after shooting my bow today, I decided I need a new one before this season. So what do you guys shoot, and would you reccomend it? This will be the bow I plan to keep for a long time, so I'm looking to spend around $500 for it. Willing to spend more if its worth the extra money.

So anything I should know about each brand? Pretty open for any brand. Thanks!

I bought the Mathews Creed this summer and like it a lot. I had a 20 yr old PSE before this. I went to shoot some new bows and the Creed was the first one I shot. It's light and felt really comfortable so I bought it. I paid $900 for the bow and with everything else(sight, etc..) it came to about $1,400. I got a bear hunt coming up in Sept. and am very excited to hunt with it.

I was shooting an old PSE and upgraded this year to the Hoyt Charger. Around 500 for the bow and with all the add ons it put me at about 1000 for the package. Great bow for being lower priced, and very similar characteristics to their higher end bows. Love it

With a 500 dollar spending limit its hard to say , but If I had to go buy a bow to day it would most likely be a Elite Answer . I think they have it ! Right now I have a Strother Valor , witch is a cheeper bow and a great hunting rig . . I don't go for speed, I like smooth and forgiveness

With a 500 dollar spending limit its hard to say , but If I had to go buy a bow to day it would most likely be a Elite Answer . I think they have it ! Right now I have a Strother Valor , witch is a cheeper bow and a great hunting rig . . I don't go for speed, I like smooth and forgiveness

I got a used Elite Answer last year for not much more than the original poster's budget. If you looked I bet the bare bow could be had for very close now. That said, I'd go shoot as many different bows as you can. If you are going to spend the money, you may as well have one you love. I had my sights set on a Hoyt or Matthews but just couldn't put down the Answer after I shot it. As stupid as it sounds the bow seemed to pick me. The best part was, buying used, I had enough money left over to pay for all my accessories and the bow didn't have do much as a scratch on it.

Good luck, and have fun!

Check out Quest Archery - they make a bow called the hammer (used to be Ross Archery and the bow was called the Cardiac) when Ross owned it, they sold for $800, The Quest Hammer is exactly the same bow and sells for half that now. It is a great bow. I have been shooting mine for 7 years and have no desire to go with anything different. It's the smoothest bow I've shot and it's killed many deer.

I believe G5/Bowtech is the parent company of Quest. They either bought out Ross and/or kept manufacturing their products over some financial issues and re-labeled them as Quest Archery, but the bows are still made exactly the same. Great bow. I recommend shooting one.

Last fall I picked up a brand new Elite Z28 on the most popular auction site for $510 including the sight, drop away rest, stabilizer, and shipping. Seller was ae-archeryelements. I just checked their current inventory and it looks like there are still some great deals on bows.

Agree with Hoyt charger. Shot this and the spyder and didn't notice that much of a difference for 400+ bucks. I think they have a package which include site, biscuit, stablizer, release and quiver for around 700-750. I purchased one last week and love it, threw on a hha site, target shooting out to 80 yards so far. I know they are flying off the shelf at the shop I purchased from.