• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead core shad rap question

I typically figure 5 to 6 feet per color depening on speed. I am not sure if you have ever picked up the dive curve book or single charts, but they are coming out with a lead core chart soon from what I have been hearing around the walleye club table

There are 2 types of Sufix Leadcore, the regular stuff and then 832.

Regular Leadcore is going to get you 5' per color @ 2mph

The new Sufix 832 Leadcore is thinner in diameter and is supposed to go 7' per color.

Dive Curve on a Shad Rap #5 is 5-6' down on 30' of line.

I think you are realistically in the almost 20' range with your set-up.

Also remember that speed lifts leadcore in the water so if you are going a bit faster than 2mph, you'll be up a little higher yet.

Just wanted to add a few things. Was searching around the internets yesterday with this question. The most common answer seems to be that there isn't a standard that can be used. Some of the "pros" also mentioned that the more lead core out the "slower" it falls.

Example.

Two colors = 10 feet

Four colors = 17 feet

Six colors = 22 feet

In essence, for every color that goes out, the more drag there is, therefore the higher the bait will run. Leader, crankbait, speed, wind, direction all change the fall rate of the lead core.

I just run line out until it hits bottom at the speed/depth I want and then I know.

Leader, crankbait, speed, wind, direction all change the fall rate of the lead core.

That is not a true statement. The leader length and crankbait used will not affect how deep the LEADCORE is running, but it will affect how deep the crank is running. The leadcore itself is going to run the same depth with or without a lure on the end of it.

Speed, definitely affects the depth rate.

Wind, no.

Direction? No. Now if your going with or against current then yes, that is the same thing as speed, adjust accordingly. How would the leadcore know if your gong North, South, East or West?

Running 2MPH into 2MPH current is really like going 4MPH. Running 2MPH with a 2MPH current your lures will sink pretty deep since you are in essence, going zero MPH as far as you lures are concerned, but the GPS will read 2MPH speed over ground.

On average (in my opinion), a safe answer to lead core depth questions is 5 feet per color plus the crank running depth.

So if I am fishing a #5 shad rap on medium lead core with a mono leader that is maybe 15-20 ft long, I'm reaching around 27 feet at around 2.0-2.2 MPH with 4 colors out.

If you fish lead core a lot, you gotta start talking written notes so that you have a reference point in the future.

I ran 18 lb leadcore while on vacation and using a #7

jointed rapala I ran 17ft down with 125 ft of lead plus 10ft floro leader at 2.2 mph.

125ft of leadcore is slightly more than 4 colors.

In my opinion that terrible numbers I have ran #7 jsr's with 8/2 bionic braid and achieved those #'s with less line and less speed. Sorry for the rant.

I love the new suffix 832 leadcore. Easier to manage and gets deeper faster. 7' per color is about average in my experience with it so far. Add a shad rap on a 30' leader and get a few more feet out of that. Time on the water with different speeds, currents, winds and waves will really be the only way you can learn leadcore. I have a love/hate relationship with it myself at times.

My success rate with lead core really jumped when I calculated being 4 ft above any target fish I saw. Many times these open rangers do not want it in their faces.

They like the underneath attack mode, and I have had fish follow lures and Then give the line a yank or do a crazy Ivan and wham they hit.