• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Intreasted in building in a Go Devil type motor

I am intreasted in trying to build a Go Devil style motor and i was wondering if anyone had one or any of the type with the long shaft. I was looking at Scavengers one and it seams to have the easyest drive system. That is the one I want to build it after. I would like some pictures of the motor and the different parts.
Any emailed pictures or info would be nice and a great help.

I was cleaning the garage one day and saw an old weed whip that I really didn't need so I rigged up an adaptor to mount an old minkota prop onto it. I got a hold of an old oarlock set which I mounted onto the shaft, this allowed me to steer and pivot the motor. Believe it or not it really didn't work to bad on the river. You sure know its me when you hear it coming down.

It's amazing what free time gives you!!!

Fish- N- Hunt

Live-to-Fish:
I think it's about a 50cc motor(I can't tell though because all the labels are worn off). I could probably help you out a bit with it if you are serious in trying it. However I still need to perfect it. The main problem that I have is trying to hold it down in the water, it likes to lift up and spray me. I need to put some type of splash guards on the unit. I also need an extension spring to assist in holding it down. I would be willing to demo it for you and maybe two heads together we can perfect this contraption.

Good Luck

Fish- N- Hunt

I have been working on buliding one also out of an old weed eater. The only problem im having is what pitch prop, I have one on now and as soon as give her gas she dies out, Do you guys now what pitch your using for this weed wiper style motor, And yes it is a great idea to use them old eaters this way. I ground on this 12.00 prop ( NO LOSS ) almost have it where it will work but would be nice to have a prop ready to go LOL.

Any Ideas fella's

I forgot which magazine it was but they showed detailed plans of how to make one with an old weed wipper. They did use a trolling motor prop by the way.

Fez,
After all was said and done, how much did the motor end up costing you?

Thats still not bad.
I was thinking of trying to build a small one using an old powerhead from an ice auger. The prop I assume would need to be a very heavy-duty type, maybe even a replacement prop for one of the other motors would suffice. I know I will need to fabricate a lot of it, but that's half the fun.

Here's an idea, we should get Rick to let us do a Monster Garage type segment for the hotbites videos. Get a bunch of us together and fabricate something useful for either hunting or fishing out of junk and scrap. Would be pretty fun and entertaining grin.gif