• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer Install

amateurfishing

working on replacing my HB duer mount today and the hex bolt that connects the ducer to the boat mount got stripped b4 I could get it completely tight so now the duce can move up or down and I have a stripped hex bold I cannot get out, ducer cannot stay this way cause it will never be in proper position to boat, I would love opinions, ideas, & fixes

I had the same problem installing mine except I was able to back it out before the nut was sunk too far into the recess. The soft stainless steel galled and seized, cold welding the nut to the bolt.

If the hex recess that the nut fits into is not destroyed, try drilling a 1/8" hole into the screw head, carefully centering the hole. Follow that with a 17/32" hole to sever the screw head, then find a new stainless screw and lock nut. Put some "anti-seize" on the bolt threads before assembling it again.

If the hex nut has spun out in the recess, scrap it and buy a new bracket from Humminbird.

don't know what easy out is but have used vise grips

regarding dremmel etc., what would I do with that? with this mount the lock nut is recessed into it on one side and the bolt head is recessed into it on other side. it is 90-95% done but just loose enough that the ducer mount does not "grab" the duce enuff to hold completely so the ducer can move up or down to easily and since the lock nut & bolt head are recessed into the bracket there is no way of cutting bolt off on either side. really just need a trick to be able to turn stripped hex bolt while vise grip is on lock nut on other side. went up one size on hex bolt but is too big. if I have to rip whole thing off just cause the bolt stripped gonna be super mad

regarding dremmel etc., what would I do with that? with this mount the lock nut is recessed into it on one side and the bolt head is recessed into it on other side.

Dermals have a lot of grinding tool options. If you get one of these cutting wheels you can still cut-grind with the edge of it into the recess a bit and maybe able to just cut-grind the head off. Or use one of their other small grinding stones to grind the head off the bolt and then put a new bolt in! wink

full-27051-32570-imagescabyvrvx.jpg

Leech,

On the bracket the OP is referring to, both the bolt head and the nut are in recesses. There is no access to slice off either without destroying the bracket. If the bolt head can be drilled out, it would be possible to save the bracket assembly.