• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you weigh big cats

SalmonSlayer

Hi guys, may be a dumb question, but I'm wondering how you weigh your big flats. I'm assuming it wouldn't be great for the fish to stick the scale through the gill plate? Do you weigh them in the net? Is a fish grip strong enough to hold a 40lb+ flat? Just getting into the cat game, I'm sure I'll be back with more (dumb) questions. Thanks for the help.

The plastic fish grips seem to hold really well, even on big ones. You can then hook the grip (there's a hole in the handle) with the scale hook. Much better for the fish! Better yet- is to just weight the fish in your net and subtract what the net weights.

I use a fish grips with a slight modification. I found the hole in the handle just a little too small to handle my fish scale. I put a small loop of 1/4" rope through the fish grip hole so I could hang the gripper on the scale easier. I also have a spring scale that weighs up to 110 lbs and I have that handy in case my digital scale batteries are dead. Here is a pic of the fish grip with the rope loop in it:

full-8403-32414-img_0900.jpg

I'm of the belief that hanging a big fish up vertically is hard on the fish and may injure them so I avoid it when i can. For years I just laid the fish in the net and hooked the scale into the yoke (Frabill yokes work great for this) and weighed from there. Last year i bought a weigh sling and that seems to be really easy on the fish and easy to use with the scale.

I'm of the belief that hanging a big fish up vertically is hard on the fish and may injure them so I avoid it when i can. For years I just laid the fish in the net and hooked the scale into the yoke (Frabill yokes work great for this) and weighed from there. Last year i bought a weigh sling and that seems to be really easy on the fish and easy to use with the scale.

+1

i weigh them in a net as well. most big nets the hop is detachable and that makes it easier for me

Personally, anything under 30 lbs and under I don’t have a problem weighing using the Fish Grip they work very well.  Anything over that gets a little dicey and has the chance of potentially breaking the jaw of the fish.  The sling is a good idea and is designed specifically for that.  But then again its one more thing to store, wash, dry etc.  A big net is probably the best option.   TARE out your scale with net on or subtract the weight of the net.  I’ve also used bathroom scales by holding the fish and subtracting your weight.  The only problem with that, I was constantly reminded how fat I am.

Unless its an extraordinary large fish I don’t weigh them any more.  I just measure length and girth and estimate the weight.  L*L*G/1275  in most cases get you within a few pounds

I’ve also used bathroom scales by holding the fish and subtracting your weight.  The only problem with that, I was constantly reminded how fat I am.

just minus out your weight as it show on ur drivers license.

"mine is from about 3yrs ago back when i used to wrk out"

u'll feel great about urself and ur fish will weigh more =)

its a win win bro

For channel cats anyway, I think that lipgrip scales are the way to go until I read evidence stating otherwise. They have incredibly strong jaws. The less a fish is handled in a net or a sling, the better off it is. Many people don't realize the damage that is done to the slime coat on a cat by netting it and keeping it in a net for an extended period of time. The slimecoat is one of their main defenses against infections. All rubber nets are definitely less damaging than knotted type nets but they still damage their slimecoat to some extent. It's best not to even weigh them and most of the time, there isn't any reason to.

I don't weigh them, but I haven't bought a scale either. To me it's not important unless you're in a tourney. I do measure them though and take a pic if it's worthy. (I know, Oh good for me)