• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Use road kill deer for Coyote?

My luck is questionable. Found a dead yearling on the road next to my private property this AM. Im tempted to pull it in 75yards to my favorite area. Wow...the temptation is strong. Especially because its so close. I pussed out and left it there. Still wondering...

Cool...thanks Truth. Its like the Yote gods have smiled on me. Sure hope its there in the morning. Cant imagine the local Road Work guys have pulled it off the road yet. getting to it first thing in the morning. That would be so cool to actually hunt over a deer kill. wanna/gonna put two trail cams on it too. Wonder how long it will take for the crows and coyotes to find it?

I found a slough this weekend where either the county road crew or the property owners near by drop roadkill deer carcasses on the ice. I sat 1/4 mile from the carcasses in slough grass calling Friday evening. I had examined the carcasses before and there are plenty of coyotes visiting them. Maybe I have some unrealistic expectations but I've hunted the spot 2 times now and had thought I would have seen or heard one by now. Is it possible my calling (I use a mouth call rabbit distress)is that bad? No worries with me out there hunting your coyotes are safe.

Here's the "coyote" and other unprotected mammals regulations...or lack there of from page 19 of the regs...You can legaly use bait...heck you can even use poison....

Unprotected Mammals

Weasels, coyotes, gophers, porcupines, striped skunks, and all other mammals for which there are no closed seasons or other protection are unprotected animals. They may be taken in any manner, except with the aid of artificial lights or by using a motor vehicle to drive, chase, run over, or kill the animal. Poisons may be used only when the safety of humans and domestic livestock can be ensured and in accordance with all label regulations of the state Dept. of Agriculture and federal Environmental Protection Agency.

And from page 26 to clarify the artifical lights/night hunting...

A person hunting for coyote or fox from Jan. 1 to March 15 may use an artificial handheld light under all of the following conditions:

• While on foot and not within a public right of way

• Using a shotgun

• Using a calling device

• Not within 200 feet of a vehicle