• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickling carp

Have any of you tried pickling carp fillets? If so are they good? And/or carp fillets in general

I have never tried carp, just getting the spring itch once the lakes open and thought I would try for some carp and pickle them. I've never tried pickling either so that would be the 2nd experiment.

I know pickling suckers and pike is a common thing to do and many rave about the taste but I have never heard of pickling carp

you are probably aware that the way most midwesterners make common carp palatable is to smoke them- I can attest that that can be very good

I have heard of some really tasty ways of preparing carp... but have not heard of pickling them.

I would have no issues trying carp... but cleaning them sounds like a pain. Lots of really neat recipes out there.

But cleaning them... uf.

Pickling them would probably make that a bit less of an issue though? I honestly don't know smile

yeh they're kinda stinky and slimy, but filleting them is the same as a walleye or bass

they don't have any weird rib bones or anything to get around like northern or a buffalo

the new invasive bighead carps are supposed to taste good, but they are kinda tricky to clean I hear

I would say try it!

I have smoked carp and it is great from cold water. You get a lot of meat from one and they were originally brought here as a food source. Choose where you get the fish for clean water and you will be fine. 4-10 pound carp are the sizes I have kept.

I also have a buddy who cans them and uses them just like tuna and nobody complains about eating it. He does not even tell them it is carp.

I've kept and smoked carp 3 times, twice very successfully. My advice is to bleed them before taking them home to clean. They are much bloodier than most fish. The meat is probably going to be quite dark either way, but you should get the freshest, whitest version with a quick bloodletting.

I'm getting woozy.

Please report back with your results.