• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which John Deere to buy?

luckydog25

I have been looking online for the past couple weeks at used John Deere lawn tractors. It seems to me the best buys seem to be the x500 and x540's. It will get used commercially, and I plan to add the 3 bag system and a snowblower on the front. Power steering and hydraulic deck are important to me (for blower attachment). Also 54 inch deck, newer with under 400 hours. I have found several in that $5000 range. I have owned alot of different brands out there, but have yet to buy a deere because of the price tag on them, but that doesn't seem bad at all if they are what everyone says they are. I am sick of working on my mowers constantly, so I want to give a John Deere a shot. Any advice?

Yes I do mean a lawn service. I have other equipment also, I am looking for a year round tractor. Another big bagger for leaves and to do some snow work. Thinking a 42 or 46 inch blower on a JD will take care of alot of sidewalk work, I know they are expensive. But good snowblowers are also. I bought a simplicity prestige that I planned to use...but it's a pile o sheet. Never bought the blower attachment because it didn't like to start in october.

Luckydog,John deere has a sale through tommorrow with 500 off the X500 model.I'm getting the X300 with 500 off. I've looked on C list for a few months and most guys really ask a lot for there used machines. I've seen lots of X300's for more than the new one costs. Can't beat new with a 4 year warantee . Good luck DrJ..

Whatever model you choose, make sure it's got the quicktach option. I've got a GX255 with a 42" single stage blower and a 54" deck and power steering. Been a great tractor. It's just a pain in the arse to convert over every fall/spring.

I'm a believer in the Deere brand. I've had the lower end equipment from other brands and none of them have stood up to the use my GX has. Don't be afraid of the price tag. IMO you do get what you pay for.

Thanks fellas. DrJ, that brings up another question. I also have noticed that some older machines are for sale for almost new prices. Have they started cutting corners on the new models? Would I be better off with a 5 or 6 year old unit with low hours?

from what I hear you might be better off with a 20 year old Deere. Many of the newer Deeres are not built by Deere. There are many models that are almost identical to Deeres just a different color and maybe a better motor. Many of the larger models that are sold at dealers and not big box stores are still up to the old standards. It sounds like lucky dog is looking at one of those.

Lucky dog, I'm going to buy my X300 right now. Alot of people want about the same for this machine used with hours. I decided you might end up with trouble with these machine. THE 4 YEAR warranty gives me piece of mind. All I've heard is Deere's are expensive to fix so I don't want to get stuck with that. Sale end today. Look at Dealers in the metro and they have all their models listed with the sale price.Suburban Lawn is who I'm working with. You could call and get the sale price over the phone up till 6 tonight. Good Luck DrJ....

Maybe I'm just sour, but my faith is Deere is waning.

I've got a garage full of them, but I dont think there will be any more.

The 314 is a total workhorse. Almost 30 years old. About due for an overhaul, but been a great machine. (bought new)

The RX75 is just a POS. Poor design.

The Ztrak is an amazing machine, when it's running.... Have had problems with it since the day we brought it home (new). But the zero turn is just amazing for doing the yard.

So. Since I'm done with Deere. Last summer picked up a Cub Cadet rider to do the cabin, and fall leaves at home. (has a bagger). And in the next couple days I think we'll go get an Ariens snowblower, to completely replace the 314 (only using it for snow at the moment).

full-27123-30662-droid960.jpg

I love John Deere equipment tractors, combines, planters, and gators, but for mowers I'm a Kubota guy. I bought a kubota 7100 hst slightly used in 1991 and I'm still running it, because nothing ever breaks. I sent it from the farm to the lake 4 years ago so now it does less than an acre a week, but the previous 15 yrs it did 5 acres of rough lawn a week plus often got hooked up to a grain auger. For the farm I now have a kubota ZD26 zero turn this machine has also been flawless. I think you might like on of their sub-compact tractors.

Thanks for the input guys. The main reason I was looking at John Deere is because of the kawasaki engines. I have had great luck with them. That and the other lawn service owners I know run JD and have been happy. The last 2 summers I have been spending way to much time wrenching, and way to much on parts. Now you guys have me thinking if JD is the answer...

I have a few thoughts if you're using it for commercial....

- What types of work are you doing? Residential, Commercial or both? Flat, hilly, ditches? How much area on average? 1/4 acre at a time, 1 acre, 30 acres?

- What type of machines do you already have? Are you looking to fill a gap in capability or simply add.

- Snowblowing sidewalks / drives... Do these walks have adequate room to turn around a rider? Once they have the blowers on, they become very long machines. Not even very easy to turn around in a single lane driveway.

- Will you be using this machine yourself or employees? Are there any employees?

- Do you have room on your trailer or will you have to ditch another machine?

- What are the dealers like in your area? If you're a full time commercial guy, dealer support is possibly the most important thing. Find a dealer that can get you up and running FAST. Time is money. If your machine is down for 7 days vs 2 days, that is a TON of money that you missed out on. They have to understand that you aren't Joe Blow homeowner that can just wait a week or two to get your machine back.

There are ton of good brands out there. , Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Bobcat, Toro, JD, Great Dane, Gravely, Lesco, Wright, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Cub.

Find a dealer that has a sense of urgency getting you back up and running if you do have a problem, and you will probably be better off than picking the "right" brand out of the gate.

Personally, I think if I had to rig up today.

I'd buy....

2012 GRAVELY ZT60HD

13 HOURS - $4800 (one currently on the list)

2013 Ariens Blower

Deluxe Series if I was on a budget ($1000)

Professional Series if I had a little more to work with. ($2200)

But again, probably only if I had a good dealer around.

The biggest account I have is just short of 3 acres, but I have all sizes in between. I have owned zero turns, tractors, and walk behinds of various brands. Currently I have Simplicity Prestige 54 inch deck, 2 44 inch toro walk behinds, and of course some push mowers. I want to get rid of the simplicity, and one of the walk behinds, I got rid of my other stuff in the fall. I am also going to get rid of my 3/4 ton truck and go back to a half ton, and downsize my trailer. Pretty much downsizing to just run by myself. I am sifting through or cherry picking if you will the accounts that I want to keep. I figure I can probably make the same amount of money without the headache of employees and lots of equipment.

I have run blowers on the front of mowers before, and I agree they aren't the easiest to steer. I do have several accounts that it would be sweet to have one though. No place to put the snow with a plow and tons of sidewalk. Anything over 4 inches of snow and they are a PIA.

I also like the thought of being able to use the machine year round. Looking on the c list it just seems that the 500 series JD might be the best bang for your buck as far as tractors. I really appreciate your in put, do you know much about these machines?

One other thing to add, is I can pick up sidewalks only at a pretty big apartment complex for next winter. Guys hate doing the sidewalks, but with the right equipment it's not so bad. Dress warm and go for a ride! My first year in the business 2006, I didn't have the cash for a plow for my truck. So I put a plow on my 500 polaris sportsman, I sold the whole rig the next fall to put a plow on my truck, I never did lots of sidewalks with it but I bet it would work great.

If you are looking at getting the garden tractor style check out these JDs: 425, 445, 475,485, 585. These are all great JD and are real work horses! I personally have used all of these and are pretty much bullet proof machines and all handle snow blowers with ease!!

I use a X475 with a 54" deck. Great tractor and deck, this isn't one of Deere's "cheap"models.

The Kawasaki twin has been trouble free so far and leaps and bounds better then Kohler.

Some minor things have been replaced.

Spindle housings cracked from hitting rocks so not the fault of JD.

Fuel Shutoff Solenoid in the carb went bad.

PTO Reverse Bypass Switch replaced.

Even with proper adjustment the deck wheels and axles ware out.

Most of that is from uneven terrain.

Once you've ridden and used one you'll be spoiled.

I find this thread interesting. Are the recommendations commercial grade rigs? My really simple view is that residential grade stuff isn't going to work out economically in the long term no matter what brand it is. But again I am not that knowledgeable. Maybe the line between residential and commercial is blurred.

I agree with Frank on the X475 or X485. Nice rigs and what I'd want to replace my 318 should/when she gives up the ghost.

My 318 works both summer and winter at home. The bagger could use replacing but the snow blower still throws like mad. I thought I blew it up the summer before last and didn't have time to fix it so I went and picked up a used X320 so I could keep mowing. It does a nice job.

I thought about getting a blower for it but got sticker shock at the new prices. They're hard to find used. PLUS when I talked to the dealer about setting it up like my trusty old girl, he flat told me if I've been throwing snow with a 318, I won't be happy with the 320. The 318 is single stage; throwing further and getting through wet heavy stuff better than the 2 stage blower for the 320.

Sold! I fixed up the 318 as she's purring along as good as ever.

Moral of the story is get into the heavy frame tractors, 400 series or higher in today's market, to get into the kind of JD that will last and last. They used to build the 300's like that but not anymore.

So whats the big difference between the 475/485 and the 500/540? I could look up the specs but you fellas seem to have first hand knowledge. Is the all wheel steer something I should stay away from on some of these?

The one thing that I find disconcerting about JD equipment is not the machine itself, but rather the implements for small commercial or residential use.

JD is famous, or perhaps I should say infamous, for their "stamped" mower decks. They build a very high quality, tough machine, then "stamp" out the cheapest ad-ons money can buy.

I run a New Holland MC28 commercial mower, with a 70 inch front end snow blower. The 70-inch front end "floating" mower deck is solid steel. A little heavy, but certainly not too much for the machine.

I'm seriously looking at trading off my two smaller riders and investing in a JD lawn tractor. One that can handle mowing, snow removal, and garden tilling, but I'm very concerned about the quality of the attachments. I've heard from many, many people, that they just don't stand up to hard use.