• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping Cookware/Tableware for 5

amateurfishing

Totally depends on the kind of camping you like to do and the kind of cooking you like to do.

In our camper, we use a set of real pots and pans, real plates and dinnerware.

When our family did more car camping with the tent, it depended on the type of stove we used, but I've always liked the MSR cookware and the GSI tableware and cooking utensils.

The older we get and the more we go, the fewer things we bring and the simpler the meals are. Big meals and complicated dishes mean more dirty dishes and more time cooking.

Whichever style suits you, look for a set that packs well and is versatile. I currently use the MSR alpine kit with a 2qt pot, 1qt pot and a fry pan in a mesh sack. Inside it I can store the cooking handle, the MSR folding utensils, seasonings, a wash cloth and the soap. it works perfectly for backpacking and can be enough for base camp style cooking.

Plates and silverware again depends on what you like or dont. If I never use another paper plate I will be a happy man. I can't stand trying to eat form a wet paper plate. I also get tired of breaking plastic forks and spoons. We have residential quality stuff when we are in our camper. When we go tent camping, i use lexan silverware. Its super durable plastic and wont break. Our plates are aluminum and we use plastic bowls if needed.

will b tent/car camping, i understand it will be based on food planned to eat, type of cooking planned etc. just wondering if there was some "camping basics cookware/table" that woud be highy recommended or advised. will have fire ring and coleman 2 burner propane stove for starters, also have 2 pie irons and 2 fish "baskets" and hot dog forks

For an all inclusive family cook kit check out the GSI kits at REI. That is what we've been looking at for a matching set of utensils that packs well for our family.

I still like the MSR cookware for lightweight and rugged. We've cooked on the campfire to cooking on our MSR backpack stove that will boil a pot of water in 3.5 mins. Thats hot!

For car camping you don't need to worry so much about weight and nesting pans. Go to Goodwill, they should have silverware, plastic plates and pots & pans. You'll need a frying pan, a couple of pots, maybe a Dutch oven, a coffee pot. I also use the coffee pot for boiling pasta (penne, macaroni or mostaccioli, not spaghetti), it has a built-in strainer. You'll also need a spatula, cutting board, medium-sized knife (I use an old filet knife),good tongs.

I have a nesting aluminum set that I picked up from REI in the 70's and still use. I added a cast aluminum frypan (about a foot square) with detachable handle when canoeing. Cheap plastic plates. Cutlery is cheap stainless steel. Add a cheap flipper and a set of tongs. Fillet knives or pocket knives cut stuff. Grate for the fire in Quetico, and a 1 burner stove. Or a 2 burner Coleman.

Nowdays we also have one of those collapsible dish pan things (instead of the medium size pot) for washing dishes.

If you have a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a 30 foot trailer, then never mind.

REI has some good light weight stuff but save your coupons for something else. For car camping I will second going to a thrift shop to get everything you need.

I use an 8in skillet (would prefer larger), a large and medium sized pot with lids, wooden spoon, spatula, enough sets of real tableware and plastic plates (non-disposable) and coffee mugs for everyone, I use my fillet knife or hunting knife (have used a hatchet before), and make coffee with one of these instead of bringing a separate coffee maker.

I keep everything in a large tote along with matches, a deck of cards, and fire-starters (sometimes you just need them).